Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Book Deal News: QUACKERY!

So this happened:


First: THROWING CONFETTI EVERYWHERE OMG CONFETTI IN MY EARS AND NOSE AND YAY.

Okay, I had to get that over with. It's been almost three years since my last book deal, so yeah. Lots of celebrating!

But also, I guess this needs a little explaining? After all, I've published two YA science fiction novels, and whoa, here I am delving into the world of adult nonfiction.

Well, lately I've been thinking of my writing career with a different, larger perspective. I've published poetry, medical essays, research papers, and YA fiction. I've blogged about the writing process and with Medical Mondays, helping other writers with their medical accuracy. I'm still practicing medicine and trying to remember to buy that gallon of milk because we've been out of it for, oh, two days at the house.

Basically, lots of juggling. But what's been happening in the last few years, literary-wise, is that I've been finding myself drawn to certain projects because of the sheer fun of it. CONTROL and CATALYST are science fiction, but I don't see myself as only a science fiction writer. In fact, before those two books, I'd written a YA historical, and urban fantasy. I've wanted to write adult fiction, but the idea never came so I didn't pursue it before (I have recently, it's a recently completed WIP). Two years ago, I wrote a dragon fantasy set in Asia; before that, a MG magical fantasy; I've also written a contemporary/magical realism/paranormal book last year. Then there was the horror short story in AMONG THE SHADOWS.  I'm all over the place, because I'm passionate about a lot of story concepts. Some of these projects are actively looking for homes; others are quietly sitting on the back burner for another chance in the future.

But if there is one thing I'm consistent about, it's my love of science, medicine, and the human condition. They are the three threads, twisted together, that have taken me on a huge journey in the last several decades.

So I want to introduce you to QUACKERY. I'll be writing it along with Nate Pederson, a gifted journalist, librarian, and friend (he's the spouse of April Tucholke—she's responsible for bringing these two geeky heads together).

I'm SO excited. You have no idea what sorts of gross, fascinating, bizarre things I'm digging up for this book! 

*cackles impishly*

Also--please follow Nate on Twitter. He's new to Twitter, and I'm sure he'd welcome a hello from the writing community!

12 comments:

Southpaw HR Sinclair said...

Well what fun! I love the weird and wonderful world of reality! Congratulations.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome, Lydia!

Krispy said...

Am so happy for you AND Nate! And this project sounds like so much fun. I can't wait. Congrats again, dear lady!

Connie Keller said...

Congratulations!!! Wonderful news!

alexia said...

Congrats! That's awesome!

Leslie S. Rose said...

Can't wait to have this on my shelf. Squeeeeeeee for you both.

Gail said...

Congratulations!

Em-Musing said...

Your passion shines! What fun to skip the genres fantastic! Congrats on your new path.

J E Oneil said...

How cool! Congratulations! Good for you for going multiple-genres. It sounds really interesting, although squicky.

Deb Salisbury said...

Very cool, Lydia! Congratulations!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Congratulations! This sounds like a very fun read!

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Benjolan Di Leher
Pengobtan Diabetes Herbal
Terapi Penghilang Saraf Terjepit
Cara Mengobati Penyakit
Obat Alami Untuk Ibu Hamil Yang Aman
Obat Diabetes Melitus
Obat Tradisional Tumor Parotis
Obat Kanker Rahim Herbal
Obat Wasir Cair
Obat Tumor Bibir Atau Mulut Yang Alami
Obat Kolesterol Paling Ampuh