Monday, May 12, 2014

Philly Recap, #WeNeedDiverseBooks, and RT!

Last weekend, I went to the Philadelphia Science Festival as a speaker.
The Franklin Institue, all festooned with helix balloons!
I kind of felt like I was giving a TED talk, with the secret microphone pack in the back of my pants and all. I felt very Beyoncé. About as Beyoncé as I'll ever get, probably!
This was the only acceptable photograph of dozens that my family took.
Man, I make some really goofy faces when I talk. 
I also got to teach a few high school classes at the Science Leadership Academy, on science fiction character creation, which was so fun! Go STEM students!
Two lessons I learned as an author? That teens still love the idea of merfolk. And also, they love it when teen main characters are outcasts, but have that one BFF to rely on. ;)

I may have spent an entire evening making Shrinky Dinks with my family. Talk about a blast from the past! It was super fun.

We also witnessed a gorgeous rainbow while we were visiting. I'd never seen such vivid colors before. The indigo and violet stripes were really there!

And finally, though I wasn't able to participate as much as I would have liked since I was at the Festival, the #WeNeedDiverseBooks campaign happened last week. It was such a necessary and wonderful grassroots effort to raise awareness of the need for diverse books in children's and YA literature, as well pull those diverse books that are already out there into the spotlight.

Here's my contribution that day:

To read more about #WeNeedDiverseBooks, read here and here.

And also, see how the campaign helped add a Diversity panel to BookCon!

If you want to know how I feel about diversity as a POC author, I wrote this very honest post at the Diversity in YA blog. And I'll also be speaking about it upcoming at RT.

Speaking of which...RT is this week!

I'm pretty excited. I'll be on a bunch of panels and signing books, so if you're there, please tweet me @LydiaYKang #RT2014 so we can say hello!
Tuesday May 13, 10:55 PM-11:55 PM: YA Spooky Sleepover Party
Wednesday, May 14, 1:15 PM -2:15 PM: YA: "The Total Experience: Diversity in YA" Panel
Wednesday, May 14, 3:45 PM-4:45 PM: InterGalactic Bar and Grille
Thursday, May 15, 11:15 AM-12:15 PM: SCI-FI: It's Not Easy Being Green: Writing Non-Human Characters
Friday, May 16th, 10:00 AM-11:00 PM: Mind, Bodies and Believability: Turning Science into Fiction
Saturday May 17, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM: Book signing in YA Alley
Saturday May 17, 6:45 PM- 8:00 PM: Teen Day Party
Hope to see some of you there! Have a great week!

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You are super busy! Have fun this week.
I remember Shrinky Dinks...

Old Kitty said...

Yay for diverse books!! And yay for such a super time at the festival! Beyonce should look to you for some tips! :-)

I'm now going to google shrinky dinks...

LOL! Take care
x

Southpaw said...

Wow, you're here and there and everywhere. I hope it's fun.

Gosh, I didn't know they still made shrinky dinks.

Shelley Sly said...

Wow, being a speaker at a festival like that is impressive! (But it also looks kinda scary...)

I like your photo for #WeNeedDiverseBooks. I enjoyed participating in that, and hope it reached a lot of people!

Deb Salisbury said...

How cool you spoke at the Philadelphia Science Festival!

I love your #WeNeedDiverseBooks contribution. So true!

J E Oneil said...

Teaching about creating sci-fi characters... You're living the dream!

Yay for the We Need Diversity campaign. Everyone deserves to be represented.

Barbara Watson said...

Fun and busy! Keep enjoying. I'm off to check your post on Diveristy in YA blog.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Wow. You have a lot going on! I'm reading Medeia Shariff's book, Snip, Snip Revenge. Her character is Muslim (this story she is Turkish) and it's fabulous and enlightening.

Laurel Garver said...

You were in my city and I didn't realize it!! Waah! I would have loved to have met you.

I agree that YA needs lots more diversity. MG has been great at it for a long time.

Ellie Garratt said...

Wow. You are busy! Have a great week.

Slamdunk said...

Glad you had fun in the city of brotherly love. Nice that we were able to send some decent weather for your trip--it has been an odd spring thus far.

Keep up the good shrinky dink work--mine never look that good.

LD Masterson said...

I remember doing shrinky dinks when my boys were kids. Seems like forever ago. Have a great time at RT.

Carol Riggs said...

Ha! Your poster for diverse books was worded awesomely. And merfolk and outcasts! Intriguing teens love those.

I think I need to get me some of those Shrinky Dinks. Anything little is soooo adorable!

alexia said...

I'm late to this post, but sounds like lots of fun lately! So cool you get to talk to kids about science and writing.

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Obat Gairah Pria
Pengobatan Asma
Obat Insomnia Akut Terapi Susah Tidur
Kualitas Produk Greend World
Obat Pilek Menahun Pada Anak
Cara Menjaga Ginjal Agar Tetap Sehat
Obat Sembelit Dan Memperlancar BAB
Obat Penambah Sistem Kekebalan Tubuh
Suplemen Alami Penghilang Rasa Lelah
Obat Pembersih Ginjal Kotor Alami
Obat Meningkatkan Kekebalan Tubuh Pada Penderita HIV Atau Aids