Friday, April 11, 2014

Blog Musings and Seward, NE signing

Hi guys! Well, I'm finding that I'm blogging rather sporadically (whoa, I'm having flashbacks of the movie Clueless and Cher's vocabulary lessons).

When I started blogging in 2010, I decided the best way to blog was regularly and often. I think I started blogging M, W, and F. I'd do Medical Mondays on Mondays, Sister of the Traveling Blog on Wednesdays, and random stuff on Fridays. But as my book release drew closer, I went to twice a week. And then after my book came out, I was so busy with deadlines and promo events, I ratcheted down to once a week.

I've been really stressed about blogging the last few months. Is blogging dead? Am I bringing anything worthy into the world when I blog? Is it taking away from my writing time? I'm also on Twitter, Facebook,Tumblr, Instagram, and occasionally blogging for the League of Extraordinary Writers. I'm as out there as possible without completely going nuts.

I love the community in blogging--you guys were my first cheerleaders when I first started writing. And I miss visiting with you guys. But I'm also finding that blogging is not a static entity. Like people and like life, it changes and morphs. Sometimes it winks out, and several good friends of mine stopped blogging a while ago. Sometimes it blossoms into multiple blogs, or changes tone altogether.

So in the end, I've just decided to stop thinking so hard about it. I'll blog when I feel like it, without any regrets. So yeah, I'll be around--but it's going to be random! 

So...if you're a blogger, do you blog to a set schedule? Or do you blog when you feel like it? 


**If you're in Nebraska, I'll be at a signing in Seward, NE at Chapters Books & Gifts tomorrow. If you're NOT going to the Spring Huskers game, please stop by to say hi! I'm signing with a few other indie authors including Carol Bicak, who is a journalist at the Omaha World Herald and wrote this wonderful picture book on Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo's baby lions. My kids love that book!

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been doing this over four years now and seen a lot of friends stop blogging. But I'm always making new ones, so the cycle continues.
Daily this month for the A to Z Challenge, but otherwise just once a week for me now as well.

Southpaw said...

Blogging is an interesting animal. Like Alex said, it seems to be cyclic. I dropped to once a week quite awhile ago. For me, it was better.

Carol Riggs said...

Yep, blogging is waning but still alive. We'll be glad to see you in the blogosphere even if it's randomly! I'm down to once every 2 weeks and that's enough (and I don't even have signings and promo stuff like you have yet!). It keeps me in touch.

SA Larsenッ said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Wise choice. I'm almost at the same point as you.

J E Oneil said...

Like most social media sparks, blogging has faded, but it's still there. I'm totally going to miss your regular posts, but I'm glad that you're not going away forever :)

Deb Salisbury said...

Hi Lydia! I'm another who blogs sporadically - make that rarely.

I keep an eye out for your posts, though. :-)

Christine Danek said...

I don't blog as much either. Life and writing is taking priority. I do it when I can. I will look out for your posts. :)

Leslie S. Rose said...

I jumped into the A to Z this year to jumpstart my blogging. I really do it for the sense of community, but I get when time is squeezed the writing has to come first. Happy touring.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I still blog Mondays and Wednesdays. I really enjoy the interaction with other bloggers.

But April and May are tough months. I really don't like the A to Z thing. Sorry, and I don't mean to offend anyone participating -- but the posts are not interesting for me to read. They tend to be quick informational blurbs instead of the more usual heartfelt conversations about writing and reading and life.

Then, in May, all the participants are exhausted and take a hiatus. So that's another month of no blogs to visit.

Two years ago, I took my own hiatus during April and was very productive. (I wrote most of the first draft of the manuscript that would become The Eighth Day.) However, for the last 2 years, I've had a book release in April or May, and so I really had to keep blogging ... even though most of my regular readers are absent.

When I am home full time writing next year, I hope that blogging will still be part of my schedule. I do wonder if I will have less to blog about, once I am no longer a teacher as well as a writer. But I could always do a series about education trends titled: Why I Had to Leave.

Slamdunk said...

I hope things went well for your event in NE.

As for blogging, I started the blog for selfish reasons (to practice different types of writing), so I don't feel disappointed when I have to cut back or stop blogging periodically.

I say set your own schedule--we will applaud when you get a chance to write.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Welcome to the world of doing whatever you want! I tried to conform to the pro blog sort of thing, but as my brain got more and more fried, I decided to do what I could, when I could. I think that's better than quitting.

Maurice Mitchell said...

I do use a schedule, but that's only because I'd probably procrastinate otherwise. I'll be popping in!

LD Masterson said...

I, too, went from M-W-F to M-W to W. Posting to my blog doesn't take too much time but I can't expect people to visit me if I don't visit them (which is the fun part of blogging anyway)and that really is a time eater.

Blog when you can. We'll be here.

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Tips Pengobatan Alami Penyakit Diabetes
Cara Alami Penghilang Kanker Rahim
Tips Alami Untuk Melindungi Tubuh Dari Virus Zika
Pengobatan Tumor Parotis Yang Aman
Obat Alami Untuk Menghilangkan Diabetes Melitus
Obat Penurun Kolesterol Tinggi Pada Tubuh
Menghilangkan Penyakit Dengan Herbal
Tips Pengobatan Penyakit TBC Kelenjar
Tips Pengobatan Penyakit Syaraf Kejepit
Waspada Meningitis Bakteri Yang Menyerang Bayi