Thursday, April 3, 2014

A Good Badlands Trip and more

Hi guys! My family and I went offline for a week while we drove to South Dakota and visited the Badlands, the Black Hills, and Mt. Rushmore. We stopped by Wall Drug and adopted this adorable Jackalope. 
We also ate a lot of food that wasn't exactly healthy (I'm talking to you, deep fried Hershey's bar) but was fun to consume. Exercise and clean eating has commenced since I returned!

Here are a few photos. They're off my Instagram account, so they show up very tiny and insignificant here, but come find me on Instagram and see them in their full glory. 

This is Badlands National Park. It was seriously gorgeous and unreal, like being on the moon on earth. And yes, the color was real, since we drove by in the late afternoon with all that goldy sun everywhere.

These are real, wild billy goats at the edge of a huge bluff in the Badlands. We actually saw them walk down a hill with an incline as steep as a backslash!

Here are some mule deer in the Black Hills. They were adorable. Fuzzier than white tailed deer, with long rabbit ears. 

This frightened me. As do any large, "whimsical" statues of supposedly cute things. Whimsy scares the bejeebers out of me. There were actually little prairie dogs here and we fed them peanuts. They made noises like bubbles popping. 

And here are the plains. The one thing I love about the midwest is the wealth of sky. I never get tired of that huge bowl of blue sky.

And here is Mt. Rushmore. This photo doesn't do it justice. The artist who created it was Gutzon Borglem. The whole process was pretty amazing. Did you know that he started carving Jefferson's face to the left of Washington, only to find the granite wasn't good quality? So he blasted it off. Talk about killing your darlings! And then when he started carving Jefferson's face to the right, he found a crack going through his nose. So he changed the angle of the face, set it four feet deeper into the stone so the crack went through his cheek instead of the more delicate nose. I mean, my goodness. 
AND I THOUGHT REVISING A BOOK WAS HARD.

I haven't been to many national parks, but now I'm psyched to go to more!

I hope you're all having a great week! Have you visited a National Park? Which one was your favorite? Where should my family go to next?

16 comments:

Kenda Turner said...

You've brought back memories of a similar trip we made out that way once--loved it as well :-) Were slowed down in the Badlands by a buffalo on the side of the road (he almost stuck his head in our window when I tried to snap his picture!), And those signs along the interstate announcing Wall Drug? You can't NOT stop!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some amazing photos. I'd like to see the Badlands sometime. Been to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon, and they were both amazing.
Glad you had a good trip!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Beautiful pictures! I'd love to see Mount Rushmore in person some day. You are right. Revising a book by deleting some electronic words pales in comparison to blasting a president's face off a mountainside!

And deep fried Hershey Bars? Really? *shudders*

Connie Keller said...

Loved your photos. (And I'm glad you all were at the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore and not Yellowstone--what with the earthquakes and fleeing bison.)

I've never heard of a deep fried Hershey bar. I bet it was yummy. :)

mooderino said...

Beautiful scenery. Must be nice to see the jackalopes wandering around in large herds.

mood
Moody Writing

J E Oneil said...

I was wondering where you disappeared to. How pretty! You're so lucky to have been able to visit.

Krispy said...

I loved seeing your pictures. The Badlands are so gorgeous and you saw so much wildlife! I've been to Mt. Rushmore (did not know that fascinating story though!) by way of a bus tour that was about hitting up National Parks. So through that I've been to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier (Montana), and Rocky Mountains. The other park I've been to is Yosemite. All of those are great, but Yellowstone is HUGE, so maybe that should be the next family trip?

Jackalope! I love it. So cute!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

My husband's family is from Montana, so we go through that area on our way there. It is beautiful there.

I hate to admit this, but I fell for the jackalope. Yes, I am very gullible, thanks for noticing ;)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I knew that stuffed guy was a jackalope at first sight. I used the Badlands of 1927 for my supernatural tale of terror of the first talking western for HER BONES ARE IN THE BADLANDS -- it just seemed natural for a tale of suspense and terror!

It just came out in audiobook form -- the voice actor is stunning.

You should read what John Steinbeck wrote of them in his 1960: TRAVELS WITH CHARLEY. Gary Sinse does the audiobook, and it is riveting. :-) Glad you had a great time!

Leslie S. Rose said...

Did you make it to Wall Drugs? I've done that trip before - it was amazing. I'm dying to go back. I'm a huge fan of Yosemite. I try to go twice a year.

Slamdunk said...

I am jealous as I have never been there. It is on my list of to-dos though.

We try to visit as many national and state parks as we can. For National Parks, I just love the Grand Canyon for its beauty and history. For a state park that you can do something unique, nothing beats the Crater of Diamonds Park in Arkansas--an active diamond area where visitors can keep any diamonds they find and there are multiple gemstones found every year.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Lydia! I've only read/seen films about this area. Sounds amazing. Being a photo fanatic, i joined you on Instagram and LOVE the pics!

Yvonne Osborne said...

We visited the Badlands as a family when I was in high school. Dad hitched a pop-up camper to the back of a big ol' Chrysler and off we went. It was wonderful.

Ruth Schiffmann said...

I have never been to a national park, but your trip sounds (and looks) amazing. Jackalopes and deep fried Hershey bars - yes please =)

LD Masterson said...

Deep fried Hershey Bars? Seriously? I can feel my arteries hardening at the thought.

Lovely pictures.

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Tips Pengobatan Alami Penyakit Diabetes
Cara Alami Penghilang Kanker Rahim
Tips Alami Untuk Melindungi Tubuh Dari Virus Zika
Pengobatan Tumor Parotis Yang Aman
Obat Alami Untuk Menghilangkan Diabetes Melitus
Obat Penurun Kolesterol Tinggi Pada Tubuh
Menghilangkan Penyakit Dengan Herbal
Tips Pengobatan Penyakit TBC Kelenjar
Tips Pengobatan Penyakit Syaraf Kejepit
Waspada Meningitis Bakteri Yang Menyerang Bayi