Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Elana Johnson's ELEVATED releases today!

Hey guys! So I was really lucky to get an early read on Elana Johnson's contemporary YA novel in verse, ELEVATED.

Here's the blurb:
The last person seventeen-year-old Eleanor Livingston wants to see on the elevator—let alone get stuck with—is her ex-boyfriend Travis, the guy she's been avoiding for five months.

Plagued with the belief that when she speaks the truth, bad things happen, Elly hasn’t told Trav anything. Not why she broke up with him and cut off all contact. Not what happened the day her father returned from his deployment to Afghanistan. And certainly not that she misses him and still thinks about him everyday.

But with nowhere to hide and Travis so close it hurts, Elly’s worried she won’t be able to contain her secrets for long. She’s terrified of finally revealing the truth, because she can’t bear to watch a tragedy befall the boy she still loves.


I love poetry, and I'm a fan of contemporary fiction (thought I'm too chicken to write it myself). ELEVATED was the best of everything I like. With novels in verse, there is so much you can't write down. There is no luxury of taking 70,000 words to depict the story and emotions.  So with that economy of words and so much to express, it's really such an intense, amazing read. 

Here are some excerpts:

The promise of laundry detergent
Brown sugar,
Oranges
Teases my nose.

His scent.

It hides in every crevice of the elevator,
A permanent passenger.

Here's another: 

The only time I don't feel twisted inside out
Like my skin is on wrong
Is when Travis is holding my hand. 

I hope you guys get a chance to read this. But I warn you, it'll go by very fast for all the right reasons. :)  Enjoy every verse! 

16 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds awesome. Congrats to Elana!

Shelly said...

This has really piqued my interest- sounds terrific!

Barbara Watson said...

Verse novels say so much with such fewer words than most stories. Excited for Elana!

Connie Keller said...

Congratulations to Elana! Wow, what an accomplishment. I'd break out in a cold sweat even thinking of doing something that difficult.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Best of luck to Elana! Sounds great.

Jessie Humphries said...

That's right, you write poetry, don't you?! This book was written with so much heart. I just adore how brave and bold it is. Go Elana!

Mary Mary said...

This sounds like a very refreshing change from the usual. I've noticed that there seems to be a bit of a trend for this type of storytelling. Glad you enjoyed it!

Candace said...

Thanks for the reminder, I need to grab this one!

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the promo on Elana. She is such a talented writer.

Bidisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bidisha said...

I had no idea about this book but what a TERRIFIC premise! And it's contemporary and verse - both of which I love.

Happy book release to Elana!

Catherine Stine said...

This one sounds fresh and unique. Congrats to Elana!

LD Masterson said...

I've never read a contemporary novel in verse. Sounds like a fascinating read.

Kelly Polark said...

I love poetry, and I've never read a contemporary novel in verse. Looking forward to reading this one, especially with Elana at the helm!

Maurice Mitchell said...

"Skin twisted inside out." That's heavy stuff Lydia and it sounds like a fun read.

Leslie S. Rose said...

I'm a huge fan of Elana. Can't wait to read this. What fun.

 
ALL CONTENT © 2012 THE WORD IS MY OYSTER / BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS