Monday, January 20, 2014

My First Book Signing! And Stuff. And Sherlock.

This past Saturday, I had my first book signing at my local bookstore, the Bookworm Omaha! It was part terrifying and part wonderful, but 100% amazing!

I had a local bakery, Jones Brothers, make a few dozen book-themed cupcakes. There were none left at the end. I guess nobody obeyed the command written on the icing. ;)


And here I am reading a passage from my book and trying desperately not to stumble over my words. Eep. I was also dorky enough to wear a dress that matched the cover of my book, because I'm a little nutters like that. 


I was so nervous about writing typos in the books when I was signing and forgetting names...I mean, SO nervous. Even though there were a sea of friendly faces, with several of my old writing friends from the Seven Doctors Project there, as well as new writing friends (Rainbow Rowell, a fellow Omaha author, stopped by too. So sweet!) 

But at the end, it went pretty smoothly. Thanks so much to Ellen Scott, the children's department manager who made everything run so nicely!

A few things to mention since my last week. Bear with me! Debut month is a bit crazy, and in some ways, these blog posts are like a diary for me. :)

I wrote a post in the Diversity in YA blog about the difficulty I've had in writing diversity in my books, as a person of color. If you've already read it, thank you so much for your support. It was a tough one for me to write.


I did a brief NPR interview at our local KIOS station this week. Here's proof:

It should also say "I shamelessly take buttons from nonprofit organizations"
That was fun! Steve Langan (a fine poet and the founder of our writing group, The Seven Doctors Project) and I were discussing the project and the upcoming reading and fundraiser. Michael Lyon, our local NPR radio host has a voice like...how shall I put this...butter that's been melting ever so slightly on a sunny English countryside...which sort of made it hard to concentrate. :) 

So if you're in Omaha on Tuesday January 21st, stop by the Slow Down at 7 PM. The most recent students in the group will be reading their work. I'll also be reading from my book as well as a little teaser from CODE (Control #2), and selling books to help benefit the writing group, which is now has nonprofit status! 

On that morning of the 21st at 9:15 AM, Steve and I will be on the KMTV's the Morning Blend discussing the Seven Doctor's Project as well. My first TV appearance!

And at around 5:30 PM, we'll be on the Tom Becka show on AM 1290 KIOL. Busy day!

And finally, my book was reviewed in the Omaha World Herald on Sunday! The review is seriously, radioactively, adverb-necessitatingly glowing (thank you Carol Bicek for reviewing and supporting YA fiction!) And as an aside, care to see a godawful picture of me? I mean, like, "I'm eating rotten worms" bad? Check it out on the link above. Now I never need to worry about bad photos of me being published on the internet, because IT'S ALREADY HAPPENED. Oh joy.

But honestly, I don't actually care that much because wow. What a fantastic review.


And finally, I just have to admit that I wrote this post while watching The Empty Hearse (for the third time) — Season 3, Episode 1 of Sherlock. Yes, I'm unabashedly SHERLOCKED. Watson isn't so bad, either. I'm hooked, people. It is the only show I'm watching right now. I've no heart and no time for anything else.  Especially when I should be revising, not watching the tele. So...are you Sherlocked too? For those that are, here are the otter/Sherlock/hedgehog/Watson photos, because they always deserve to be shown again. 


Have a happy Monday everyone! So...if you're not Sherlocked, then what's your entertainment poison these days?

30 comments:

Old Kitty said...

LOL!! Otter and Hedgehog are ADORABLE! The guys are too! Swoon!!

But LOOK at you all author-ly doing reading and book signings and getting fabulous reviews in the papers! Yay!!!!! Onwards and upwards! Take care
x

Joni said...

Your book signing looks like it was loads of fun (and tasty, too...) Personally, I think it's really cool that you dressed to match your book. ^^ And what a great review in the paper!

HA! I love the Sherlock/animal pics.

I wish I lived closer so I could visit one of your events. Thanks for sharing the fun via blog posts. ^^

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Congratulations on a successful launch for your book! I am always nervous before a signing, but once it's under way, I'm fine! And it does get easier!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like a fantastic book launch. Congrats! Wish I lived there so I could have attended.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on all of those accomplishments! Glad the signing went well and cool you got a review in the paper.

Shelly said...

wonderful! Love that you color coordinate- I do the same. I am Sherlocked myself, and also for entertainment my main show is The Biggest Loser. I've lost over 160 lbs. in the last 5 years or so, and this show is one I never miss.

Kristen Williams said...

Congratulations on the first signing, reviews and interviews. I really can't fathom having all those people looking at me and wanting me to sign their book...esp since I'm one of those smiling faces.

I am SHERLOCKED for sure. I'm with you...since I've started watching everything else (tv wise) has fallen away. Nothing can even compare.

prerna pickett said...

AH! That's so exciting. I can't imagine the nerves. But from the pic it seems you did great. Love the dress!

Susan said...

WOW! Such wonderful news from you. Congratulations on all of it. You looked adorable, too. Wish I could have been in the audience to hear your presentation! Again, job well done! Susan

Barbara Watson said...

I can imagine the nerves! My kids and I have been to signings at the AWESOME local indie called Wild Rumpus, and they do a cool thing with post-its on your book before getting up to the author. A bookstore worker writes the name of the person to whom the book is going to and places it on the page the author signs. Much less chance of getting a misspelling. And so simple.

Jay Noel said...

Wow. You're all over the place. Way to go. Congrats on all of your success.

And that cupcake looks gooooooood.

Jessie Humphries said...

Holy schmoly, Lydia! You are moving and shaking :) Radio, TV, Rainbow Rowell, geesh...I didn't think I could be any more impressed by you, but I am. I'm so glad your debut is an explosion of awesome. P.S. I love your dress. You are so beautiful.

Joanne R. Fritz said...

Huge congrats on your first signing! Wish I could have been there.

Didn't they give you post-it notes for personalizing? We always did that at the bookstore where I worked. Much easier than trying to remember how to spell someone's name!

And I love that you dressed to match your cover. That's fantastic! Enjoy your debut month.

Catherine Stine said...

Oh, those cupcakes are soo cute! And congrats, you are really on a roll. Enjoy!

Leandra Wallace said...

So were there a lot of blue smiles after the cupcakes were eaten? Lol! They look yummy! So glad the book signing went great, your dress looks so pretty!

J E Oneil said...

So cool! Articles and interviews and readings! If I was anywhere near Omaha, I'd run down to see you.

I wish I had one of those cupcakes.

E. Arroyo said...

You've been busy. Congrats! I love your article in Diversity in YA! Well said. =)

Carrie Butler said...

Whew! Someone sounds busy, these days. ;) Congrats!

Lori M. Lee said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful event. Those cupcakes look delicious! And your dress is adorable.

Also, Otter and Hedgehog WHAT?! XD

Deniz Bevan said...

Adorable photos.
Congratulations on your book signing! Sounds like you had an awesome busy week. Those cupcakes are a great idea!

Krispy said...

You've been doing so much, and I LOVE that you wore a dress to match your book cover. :) Sounds like it was a good launch. Wish I could've been there to nom your cupcakes.

As for SHERLOCK, I'm kind of relieved it's over, haha. But only because it was kind of stressing me out to think about the next one. Still, NEXT SEASON SOON, PLEASE!

Congrats again!!!

Slamdunk said...

Congrats Dr.! I just read the newspaper write-up and wow, very complimentary. The writer ends that your next book is do out early next year.

A writer's work is never done, huh?

Kelly Polark said...

Your book signing looks amazing! (and you look amazing in your pretty dress!)
Those cupcakes look delish!

Awesome about the TV spot, good luck!!!

LD Masterson said...

You've been a seriously busy lady. Congratulations on all the good happenings.

Do you watch Elementary? A very different kind of Sherlock. Not too mention Watson.

babYpose said...

Hi, you have made it, congratulations!

Cynthia said...

YAY on your book talk! Would've loved to have been there.

I did read that piece you wrote in the YA Diversity blog. I would've commented on it but I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know how to leave a comment on that particular web site...and I couldn't cram all I wanted to say into a Twitter comment.

I just want to say that you are brave to share the stuff that you shared. My honest opinion is that writers should write what feels comfortable for them to write about. They shouldn't pressure themselves to write a certain way, or about certain people, places, or things, because they feel that is what might be expected of them.

Karen Lange said...

Congratulations Lydia! So glad the signing went well. :)

Beth said...

Yeah, I must admit to being completely Sherlocked, and I've already seen all three episodes (having a 16-year-old who knows how to do those things). What a great season!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I would love to be able to go to every bloggy friend's signing. I was telling a few sci-fi loving people about your book. I really need to read it so I can add, it's a great read!

vbtremper said...

Really cool to experience your journey!

Yup, I'm Sherlocked, too. My hubs and I just starting watching last month. We're still in Season 2. Those hedgehog shots are hilarious.

Congrats and best of luck with Control!
-Vicki

 
ALL CONTENT © 2012 THE WORD IS MY OYSTER / BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS