Monday, January 13, 2014

Cyanide and Guest Posts

No, I'm not guest posting about cyanide, nor doing a guest blog posting involving cyanide.

I was watching Skyfall recently (I can't get enough of Adele's theme song!) and was troubled about the scene when Javier Bardem takes a prosthetic out of his cheek and claims that hydrogen cyanide corroded his face away, without killing him. My Medical Mondays alarm bells went off, and after a quick google search, found the truth:

The Science of Cyanide in Skyfall and other Spy Flicks

Oh Those Movie Spies and Their Cyanide Pills

It's nice to see people set the record straight about whether this plot hold was microscopic or the size of a pancake. A very large pancake.

Anyway!

Today I'm guest posting over on the League of Extraordinary Writers on my writing rituals.

Last week, the lovely Jessica Spotswood hosted me for one of her Thrice Interviews.

Also, if you haven't read it, Jessica did an extremely eye-opening and honest blog post about managing expectations. What happens when you get a huge (as in, eye-bulging huge) deal for a book series and it doesn't hit the NY Times bestseller list? It's a very honest blog post worth reading.

I was featured in the Breaking In section of Writer's Digest!


So how is your January going? Still sticking to your resolutions so far? Do you tend to pick apart plot holes in the movies you watch, or just brush aside belief for the sake of the experience?

19 comments:

Shelly said...

I wondered about that when we saw the movie! Headed over to your guest post-

Barbara Watson said...

I never even though twice about the face thing in Skyfall. I love that your medical interests had you investigating it!

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the cyanide info--I am not much better versed.

On the way over to your guest post now.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I didn't think anyone could live through that.

Angela Brown said...

Going to check out Jessica's post.

About that plot hole the size of a Mack truck. Well, I tend to identify them but try to let them slide under my rug of suspension of disbelief :-)

Congrats on your Writer's Digest mention. Woot!

Jessie Humphries said...

I will definitely check out those posts. That managing expectations post by Jessica was staggering, refreshing, awesome, and a bunch of other stuff. I salute her! Anyway, January kind of sucks, but whatev.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing Jessica's post. It's an eye opener about the hard part of the publishing world.

Deb Salisbury said...

Congratulations on your Writer's Digest mention. Hurray!

Um, resolutions?

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Congratulations on landing in Writer's Digest. Wow!

I did see Jessica's blog post on managing expectations. It was a very good thing for me to read, right before my first series debuts. Eye-opening and honest and attitude adjusting!

J E Oneil said...

My January isn't going as good as yours, but only because that's impossible. Featured in Writer's Digest!!! I know you can't tell, but I'm going all high-pitched and excited :)

Tammy Theriault said...

Writer's Digest? Awesome and congrats. you are all over the place. and good for you for looking something up! it's always good to know when you're right :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

How awesome! I will have to go check out my WD issue! I've read those spots for years...now I "know" one of the writers. (No, I am not above vicarious living woopies!)

Kelly Polark said...

Yay for being in Writer's Digest!!

I bet there are more than a handful of times that you question medical mysteries on tv or a movie! Research, people, research!

Stephen Tremp said...

Congrats! on the published article. I remember that scene from Skyfall and wondered the same thing. He would have inevitably swallowed and absorbed some into his body.

Jay Noel said...

Farfetched for sure, but that's par for the course for any Bond flick. Still love them.

Congrats for being featured in Writer's Digest!!!

LD Masterson said...

I haven't read my latest Writer's Digest yet. I'll go look for you.

For some reason,I'm more inclined to look for logic errors in anything I watch on TV but not so much in the theater. Maybe at those prices I don't want to let anything to spoil my enjoyment.

Maurice Mitchell said...

That bothered me too, but I'm no doctor so I just went with it. I usually Google it if it really bugs me. Now I know a lemon would have done more damage. Thanks for the trivia Lydia!

Carrie Butler said...

That's so cool about the article! Congratulations, Lydia. :D

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Tidak Semua Benjolan Berarti Kanker
Bahaya Konsumsi Semut Jepang Bagi Penderita Diabetes
Jupe Hidup Sehat Dengan Vegetarian
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Secara Alami
Bahaya Diet Paleo Bagi Penderita Diabetes
Cara Menurunkan Kolesterol Yang Terlanjur Tinggi
Jamu Tradisional Penghilang Penyakit
Alasan Syaraf Kejepit Berbahaya Bagi Kesehatan
Obat Herbal Untuk Ibu Hamil
Tips Pengobatan Penyakit Wasir Cair Alami