Thursday, September 5, 2013

Scrivener Part Two


Almost a year and half ago, I blogged about Scrivener. 

There were a lot of positives, and a few negatives. As they say, the proof is in the pudding (which is supposed to mean that you don't know that pudding is good until you eat it, though I prefer to believe it's about whether the yeast has been "proofed" and whether those old bready pudding of yore actually rose, showing the yeast was alive...OMG, I'm totally off point now. And hungry.)

So, do I still use Scrivener? 

Hells, yes.

Here's your proof, and a few screenshots to show what I still love about it:


So here's the basic layout of Scrivener as I use it. On the left is the "binder" view, which shows lists of notes as well as my actual manuscript divided into chapters. I title my chapters according to what's happening in them, so I can move from chapter to chapter without having to search where stuff happens. Although I can do that too, using the search window at the upper right. 


So I love this split-screen view. Below, I have my manuscript text, and above it I have revision notes I refer to without having to look for lost hand-written notes. And notice on the right in the yellow field, there is a place to write notes that are linked to each chapter, so I can remind myself to fix stuff later. The top right lines space are notes where you can summarize the whole chapter if you want, but I'm not that detailed.


This is cool because I had to draw some really basic maps to keep my world straight in my head and I need to refer to them often. I drew them and imported them to this neat corkboard. You can do that with random images too, which is fun. There's also a place where you can built up character portfolios which is super helpful.

So! I'm still using Scrivener for all my first and second drafts. What about you? Any Scrivener tips or other wordprocessing comments about what works best for you?

20 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I still use it up until the very end. Then I export it to word just to read as a different medium and to send to betas. Def. a good investment.

Clarissa Draper said...

I use this program as well and find it invaluable for keeping track of my notes. I can keep the timeline feature on the right column and use the metadata to keep track of the days.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I won it but have never tried it. One of these days I will and I'll remember your tips.

Connie Keller said...

Wow! That's really an impressive program.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I wasn't so sure about Scrivener at first. I thought Word was good enough. And then I won Scrivener at Bookshelf Muse and decided to give it a try. Oh. Wow. I love it. I have both the PC and Mac version (on my Macbook Air), and the Mac version is by far the most superior of the two. I use the program until the point where my editor wants my edits in Word. I couldn't imagine writing a novel without it. :)

Shelly said...

Scrivener looks like a really nifty program. I appreciate you taking the time to educate us- I would never just pick it up on my own.

Melody Valadez said...

Thank you for this! I read a lot of bubbly posts from people who have recently discovered Scrivener, but this is the first one I've read by someone who has used with for some time. Now it tempts me even more, haha. Do you think it's saved you a significant amount of time while writing your manuscripts? :)

Catherine Stine said...

I do use Scrivener, mainly for their awesome virtual corkboard--so for first draft plotting.

Karen Lange said...

I don't have it but am thinking it might be a good investment. Appreciate the info!

Southpaw said...

I do like Scrivener, but I found that it's too distracting for me. I get caught up in all the goodies. So, I don't use if so much for the actually MS but I do used for tracking everything else.

M Pax said...

You should see what it took to get me to give up WordPerfect. I clutched onto it like a lifeline. Now I do the same to MS 2003. Won't give it up until someone makes me. I get attached that way.

Glad you found something you like.

J E Oneil said...

It's not for me, but I can totally see why it's useful. It's got a lot of tools that could make writing a lot easier.

Angela Ackerman said...

I am determined to get Scrivener for my next project. I sounds like it takes time to figure out but is so worth it. :)

Angela

mooderino said...

I tend to use it in the early stages when I'm planning stuff out and need to keep my ideas organised. Once I start writing the story proper I just us Word.

mood
Moody Writing

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I've never tried it, but you make it look awesome, so I will have to check it out.

Meredith said...

I had heard about Scrivener, but I never really knew what it does. It seems like it would be incredibly helpful, especially for a first draft! Hope your writing is going well! And I can't wait for December so that I can finally read CONTROL!

Deniz Bevan said...

Love Scrivener! Eagerly waiting for the app to come out on iPad.
A friend of mine recently wrote a post praising Scrivener too:
http://alltheworldsourpage.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/more-scrivener-love-scrivener-for.html

Leslie S. Rose said...

I've been Scrivene-phobic. You have intrigued me with your screen shots.

Juanita P said...

Scrivener. The best thing I ever did for my writing. Does it save time? Absolutely! It also makes many things so much easier - character sketches, plotting, scene tracking, editing...there's not nearly enough space to describe the many wonderful things about Scrivener. I used to get lost while trying to navigate my manuscript. Not anymore. Now I can focus on my writing. I can't imagine how I ever managed with MS Word.

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Turunkan Berat Badan Obesitas Maka Akan Terhindar Diabetes
Bahaya Konsumsi Semut Jepang Bagi Penderita Diabetes
Merokok Sebabkan Penyakit Kanker Serviks
Waspadai Beberapa Gejala Penyakit Diabetes Melitus Ini
Gejala Kehamilan Anak Pertama Yang Sering Dirasakan
Bahaya Kekurangan Serat Pada Tubuh Kita
Ciri Ciri Bentuk Tahi Lalat Yang Merupakan Gejala Kanker
Kandungan Yang Ada Di Dalam Durian Bagi Kesehatan
Cara Yang Bisa Di Lakukan Ketika Anak Terkena Asma
Tips Peningkat Gairah Seks Pria