Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Kelly Polark's ROCKABET & My Dream Grunge Band!


Today I'm playing band manager to celebrate the release of Kelly Polark's ABC's of rock 'n' roll picture book, ROCKABET: CLASSIC EDITION. So Kelly asked me to pick any band members from any bands to form the best band ever. And I got SO stressed out over this! What bands? Which era of my life? AAAAAAHHH!

So in the end, I decided to pick the grunge era from my college days as they were pretty formative for me. So here goes!

Band Name: 
Are you kidding me? I have a hard enough time naming my books! Okay, okay. Since it's a mish-mash of musicians all smashed together, I'll call my band:
SMISH

First Gig: The Slowdown
 Omaha, Nebraska
It's a smallish venue but perfect for a up close and personal experience.

Source: Esquire
Lead vocals:  Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)
Love the quality of his voice. I never, ever get tired of it.

Source: Wikipedia
Lead guitarist: John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers) 
I love the story of how he became guitarist, after the lead guitarist Hillel Slovak died. He was basically a fan that knew the lead guitar parts by heart, and with great skill. 

Source: Wikipedia
Bass guitarist: Kim Deal (Pixies, The Breeders). 
Because she's so, so, so, so cool and talented.
I was a huge fan of the Pixies and the Breeders.
Though they weren't technically grunge, Kim's the first musician that popped into my head
when I started writing this post, so in she goes!
Did I mention how awesome and cool she is? 

Source: Wikipedia
Drums: Dave Grohl (Nirvana)
 I know diddly about drumming, but Nirvana was so historical in the grunge movement. And I remember reading an interview where Kurt Cobain told Courtney Love (who hated Dave and wanted him kicked out of Nirvana) "But Dave is the best drummer in the world."
So as a nod to Kurt, here's Dave. Not playing drums. Erm...

Source: Wikipedia
So. Who would you choose for your supergroup and why?

Here's a band name generator to create your killer band name!


ROCKABET: CLASSIC EDITION can currently be purchased online at Amazon or at select bookstores. Hardcover books will be available at various online retailers and stores in October.

Kelly Polark is also the author of BIG SISTER, BABY BROTHER and the upcoming HOLD THE MUSTARD! from Meegenius. Come visit her on Facebook and Twitter! Check out her website and celebrity book recommendation site, Book Recs of the Rock and Famous.

READING ROCKS!


The beautiful, generous and amazing Kelly Polark!

12 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm like you and have enough trouble with my characters' names so I wouldn't try this. Great choices! Congrats to Kelly! So excited for you.

Kelly Polark said...

Thank you so much, Lydia! I LOVE your picks! I adore Dave Grohl and Billy Corgan!!

Bathwater said...

It figures Courtney would want Dave out of the band. Dave went on to be so influential on his own!

Barbara Watson said...

I couldn't put together an entire band of dreams, but my husband could. It would be all about 80s rock.

Em-Musing said...

Hmm? I've always loved the Beatles and Queen...I wouldn't mix anyone in their mixes.

CA Heaven said...

I'm mostly a metal head, so I would probably formed a black-metal supergroup. Actually there's already one out there; Arcturus.

I also like Smashin Pumpkins and Nirvana, though >:)

Cold As Heaven

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My dream group would be a mix of Rush and Dream Theater!
Congratulations, Kelly.

Jessie Humphries said...

Cool stories behind your choices. My band would be so random. Celine Dion on vocals, Jack Johnson on guitar, Taylor Swift on piano, Michael Jackson as a back up dancer, and Justin Bieber on drums (he's the only person I could think of who plays drums!) So random. But fun!

Kim Van Sickler said...

OMG, way too hard to pick a perfect band. I'd want mine to reflect some E-Street Band instrumentals, Macy Gray vocals, Natalie Merchant lyrics, Goo-Goo Dolls soul. Congratulations to Kelly, and to you Lydia on your upcoming release.

Kelly Polark said...

I love reading everyone's band choices!!

Maurice Mitchell said...

SMISH is a great name Lydia! Make it happen!

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Turunkan Berat Badan Obesitas Maka Akan Terhindar Diabetes
Bahaya Konsumsi Semut Jepang Bagi Penderita Diabetes
Merokok Sebabkan Penyakit Kanker Serviks
Waspadai Beberapa Gejala Penyakit Diabetes Melitus Ini
Gejala Kehamilan Anak Pertama Yang Sering Dirasakan
Bahaya Kekurangan Serat Pada Tubuh Kita
Ciri Ciri Bentuk Tahi Lalat Yang Merupakan Gejala Kanker
Kandungan Yang Ada Di Dalam Durian Bagi Kesehatan
Cara Yang Bisa Di Lakukan Ketika Anak Terkena Asma
Tips Peningkat Gairah Seks Pria