Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Always Do The Thing That Scares You BLOGFEST!


Hello! I'm here to celebrate the release of Mila Ferrera's fantastic NA book, SPIRAL!

SPIRAL is one of those read-in-one-sitting books. It's an intelligent romance that is so gripping, with a romance that is pretty sweet and spicy for you new adult fans out there. Seriously, you won't be disappointed and I'm very picky when it comes to NA!

So today's Blogfest is about doing the thing that scares you. And let me tell you, I've done that a few times. But there is one situation that I'm particularly proud of.

Rock climbing. 

See, I have a fear of heights. Any situation where there is a real possibility of falling and smashing my head scares me crazy. 

So I was a little worried when I went rock climbing for the first time many years ago. It was at the Gunks in New Paltz, NY.


FYI, this is not a picture of me. I was wearing a purple Dinosaur Jr t-shirt.
You could practically see the waves of fear surrounding me like a big, black aura.
I was terrified. With the help of my experienced friends, I panted, squeezed, shoved and grappled my way up that cliff face. There were moments of panic, of nearly screaming "I can't do this!" I did at one point stick my elbow into a crack to keep from falling. Yes, it was painful.  A few times, I nearly considered purposely falling, just to get the whole thing over with. 

But you know what was just as strong? My inner voice that said, "Don't quit. Focus. To hell with the fear. Just do it."

Nike didn't pay me to say that, but honestly, it really does mean something. And when I reached the top, it was one of the purest sensations of success I have ever felt. 

Was it worth the terror?

Yes. 

What did I learn?

That my mind can be stronger than my fear. That was a priceless lesson. 

So! Let me tell you a bit about this book! Because at it's core, it's about conquering fear for the sake of love.

About SPIRAL: 

Nessa Cavanaugh, psychology student, knows how to stay on an even keel. Despite the urging of her mother and her academic advisor to get a life and have some fun, “all work and no play” sums up her plan to survive her grueling internship year at a children's hospital. She doesn't want to end up like her father, whose constant ups and downs broke her family, and avoiding unnecessary emotional entanglements is a must.

Then she (literally) runs into Dr. Aron Lindstrom in the middle of her disastrous first day on the job. The attraction is instant—and terrifying. Nessa knows she should stay away—especially when she finds out he has a reputation for being a player—but Aron is brilliant, intense, and as sexy as they come. When he challenges her to take a chance on him, her plans to stay focused on work start to crumble.

But what begins as passion takes on a dangerous edge, becoming an emotional roller coaster that’s frighteningly familiar. As things spiral out of control, Nessa must decide whether she should hold on for the ride or run … even if it means leaving her heart behind.

And here's a fantastic giveaway:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Thanks so much for stopping by! 

16 comments:

Mila Ferrera said...

Thanks for participating in the blogfest, Lydia! I love this post--it's a simple demonstration of how amazing it feels to take control of our fear. So--would you do it again if you had the opportunity?

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Mountain climbing fascinates me, except for that part about the height. I think I'll stick with saying on the ground and appreciate others doing it. I'm not as brave as you, Lydia!

Shelly said...

Good for you! A time I did something that scared me was when I rode a scary ride at an amusement park with some of my students on an end of year field trip. One of them even threw up, but I made it without upchucking.

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm impressed! As a kid I didn't fear heights, but now I do & I'm not sure I could have pushed through!!

Emily R. King said...

I'm still terrified of spiders. Whenever I see one, I have to kill it. But I don't like getting close to them so I always wish a mighty spider hunter would save the day!
Thanks for the giveaway!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey, her character has my last name!
Once you started, you had to finish.
Now, would you ever do it again?

Mark Koopmans said...

I was bouncing around inside a small airplane as we flew to 13,000 feet for a tandem parachute drop.

The pilot, for whatever reason, had to make an emergency manoeuver and I slammed my shoulder into the door of the plane (no harm, no foul - I was connected to my parachute guy and the sliding door was locked.)

Two minutes later, my guy stands up and slides open the door, which is when I realize I *wasn't* buckled to him and the door *wasn't* locked!

Phew... I screamed all the way down *and* all the way to the pub that afternoon :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'd be seriously terrified. And I doubt my inner voice would be less scared. Good for you for overcoming your fear.

CA Heaven said...

I share your discomfort with heights. Last summer when we painted the house (which is about 8m, or 25ft, high), I sent the kids up to paint the upper part.

I've done rock climbing and rappelling a couple of times, when I was in the navy. With the ropes and harness, if felt pretty safe >:)

Cold As Heaven

Joy D. Fanning said...

I am sad to admit this but I'm actually afraid of the dark still! If I'm the last to go to bed at home I have to turn off the downstairs light and walk, or run in my case, up the stairs into the light! lol

I have a healthy fear of something lurking in the dark...I think I want to many of those ghost hunter shows.

Editors At Work said...

Despite knowing that we have to face the fear, I'm scared of snakes, spiders and dark.

Nas

Donna Hole said...

I don't have a fear of heights, necessarily. I can get up there - though I doubt I'll ever rock climb - but getting down could be a problem, lol.

.......dhole

Jai Joshi said...

Good for you in making it up that wall! I probably would have fainted and fallen off.

I used to be scared of writing sex scenes. I thought I'd be terrible because it's so hard to write believable passionate scenes. Then I wrote one and totally conquered my fear. Now I'm all nonchalant about it, haha.

Jai

Mary Preston said...

Rollercoasters and I are not friends. I tried it once, but that's it for me.

tucson amc said...

Loved it This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality.

Roseville dentist

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Konsumsi Teh Hitam Setiap Hari Dan Rasakan Manfaatnya
Makanan Menyehatkan Penurun Kolesterol
Makanan Yang Di Pantang Untuk Beberapa Jenis Penyakit
Jenis Tanaman Yang Mampu Mencegah Penyakit Tumor Dan Kanker
Cara Atasi Insomnia Dengan Tidak Mengkonsumsi Obat
Turunkan Risiko Asma Pada Anak Dengan Pelihara Anjing
Tips Cara Membangkitkan Gairah Pria Untuk Bercinta
Obat Agar Terhindar Dari Bakteri Dan Virus
Tips Memutihkan Kulit Ala Wanita Jepang Secara Alami
Obat Herbal Untuk Menghilangkan Benjolan Di Leher