Monday, May 13, 2013

Reporting back on RT!

So I'm so happy that I went to RT Booklovers Convention! For those of you who aren't familiar with RT, it's sponsored by the Romance Times Book Reviews and the YA track is pretty substantial. After shying away from writer/book conventions for years, I finally did the deed. Though it was occasionally weird (I'm shy around strangers), it was still so fun.

I couldn't go to the whole thing, but I was able to drive down for Saturday's Teen Day. It was basically YA heaven. There were some great panels with Veronica Roth, Melissa Marr, Kiera Cass. Kelley Armstrong, Leigh Bardugo, Corinne Jackson, Richelle Meade, Heather Brewer, Gayle Foreman, Margaret Stohl, among others.

By far, the best part of the convention was meeting so many people I know, but had never met in person. Here we go!

Brekkie with some of the Lucky 13s!  Eve Silver (author of RUSH), who kindly took me under her wing for portions of the day; Claire Caterer (author of THE KEY AND THE FLAME), and Justina Ireland (author of VENGEANCE BOUND)


Bethany Hagen, fellow Dial author (LANDRY PARK). I had spec envy. Who wouldn't? ;)

I met lots of author-friends in the YA Alley section of the book fair...
Deb Driza, fellow Lucky 13 and Class of 2K13er, author of MILA 2.0
(Yes, her deltoids are that defined in real life).

Gretchen McNeil, author POSSESS and TEN (who wore the most gorgeous teal pumps. I was drooling over her shoes) and Dawn Rae Miller, author of LARKSTORM and CRUSHED

Justina Ireland and VENGEANCE BOUND. She is not a hugger. But I hugged her, like, three times and she was such a good sport! We actually hung out a lot that day and cross promoted our books. Way easier than talking up your own book. :)
She also gave me a Kit Kat bar. I am indebted to Justina for life, I think. 


My League of Extraordinary Writer pals! Bethany Hagen, me, Beth Revis (author of the ACROSS THE UNIVERSE trilogy), Deb Driza, Genn Albin, and Lenore Appelhans!
Tessa Elwood, my fantastic web designer (and she's a YA author too!)
who fed me Ethiopian food and yummy desserts. :) I look like a giant next to her but I swear it's perspective. She's so tall and graceful!
At the end of the day, the YA authors all had dinner and drinks together. Beth Revis took this cool panoramic picture. I am the dark blob in the corner, somewhere near Lea Nolan, Brodi Ashton, Justina Ireland, and Rachel Carter. It was so fun chatting.
(No, you can't really see me. Yes, I was really there.)
All in all, a wonderful, fun experience. 
(Note to self: no need to be in all the pictures next time. Blechh.)

I'm already planning on going to RT in New Orleans next year. I hope to see some of you there! Maybe? Please? I guarantee, it'll be fun!

29 comments:

Shelly said...

Now that sounds like a great time. I'm glad you went and then shared it with us. You writers are a fun group. You didn't get a pic of the teal pumps???

Natalie Aguirre said...

Wow! Sounds like you went to author heaven. I'd love to go to this someday.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I have never been to a conference or convention, but I really need to pick one and sign up. I keep thinking -- oh, I'll do that some day -- or, I'll do it when I take a sabbatical -- but really. I just need to DO IT.

SA Larsenッ said...

I am so happy for you! I haven't attended one yet, but hope to in the near future. I love people; really, I do. I just have a hard time warming up to them. I'm kind of an observer, during these sort of events. A people watcher instead of engaging with them.

Claire M. Caterer said...

It was such fun meeting you and a few of the other Luckies, Lydia! I love how the kidlit/YA community is so welcoming and helpful with great advice and support. See you in Chicago!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looks like you met up with a lot of fellow authors! Glad you had a good time.

Emily Rose said...

This looks like a lot of fun! I've never heard of this convention, but now I really want to go!:)

Linda Gray said...

Wow! What an excellent choice for your first convention. How great to get to know these wonderful women in person.

Linda Gray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen Lange said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Carol Riggs said...

How awesomely FUN! I wish I could've gone. I didn't realize a conference like that would have so many YA authors. Cool! So glad you got to go and meet all those wonderful authors. :)

Liz Czukas said...

Tessa is my web designer, too! We had dinner while we were there. What a sweetheart! Can't wait til everyone gets to see my site! We're almost ready to launch.

Next year, we definitely have to actually speak to each other instead of just sharing a humongous table!

- Liz

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

so fun! good to meet you in person ;)

Bathwater said...

Is it just me or are all the authors women? Don't men write that type of novels?

Barbara Watson said...

How fun! I hope to get to a conference/convention when my budget allows...

Krispy said...

I love the pictures! Seems like you had a lot of fun. I hope you come out to CA some day so that I can glomp you in person. :)

Old Kitty said...

Ethiopian food!?! How lovely!! Yay for such a fab and fun and amazing and supportive event!! Brilliant! Take care
x

Ghenet Myrthil said...

Looks like you had an awesome time! I didn't realize RT had such a big YA presence. That's great!

LD Masterson said...

Glad to hear you had a great time. Thanks for share the pics.

The Golden Eagle said...

It sounds like you had an amazing time! :) Loved seeing the pictures of everyone.

Sarah Allen said...

Jealous! That looks so much fun :) Thanks for reporting ;)

Sarah Allen
(From Sarah With Joy)

mooderino said...

Looks very cool.

mood
Moody Writing

The Funnily Enough

Rachna Chhabria said...

Looks like you had a great time Lydia. Must have been fun to have met so many writers (both friends as well as new writers)

Theresa Milstein said...

Thanks for sharing about your experience. I can't believe how many writers I "know" through blogging and Facebook here. Now I wish I'd gone!

Peggy Eddleman said...

That looks like so much fun! Glad you had a blast!

Romance Reader said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time, Lydia! Thanks for all the photos!

I had a similar experience at the recent ARRC2013 held in Brisbane Australia.

Nas

Lisa Gail Green said...

You're making me miss going to conventions!!! I love SCBWI but I have to miss AGAIN this year! BLeh. At least I signed up for a writer's retreat at some point...

Mark Means said...

Looks like a great time was had by all and I can just imagine all the ideas that had to have been flying around those tables...

..if you were talking 'shop', that is :)

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Makanan Sehat Yang Mampu Mencegah Datangnya Penyakit Kanker
Awas Polusi Udara Bisa Sebabkan Anak Asma
Cara Mengatasi Masalah Ejakulasi Dini
Penyakit Pada Organ Vagina Bisa Disebabkan Virus Dan Bakteri
Beberapa Lurah Cantik Yang Ada Di Indonesia
Obat Infeksi Jantung Yang Paling Aman
Obat Herbal Penghancur Lemak Dalam Darah
Makanan Sehat Penderita Batu Empedu
Tips Alami Untuk Membersihkan Kuman Akibat Penyakit
Waspada Meningitis Bakteri Yang Menyerang Bayi