Monday, February 18, 2013

Tumbling into Tumblr

Thank you guys again for all your support surrounding my news! I'm still on Cloud 9. :)

So about two weeks ago, one of my friend Elsie Chapman and I were tweeting about Tumblr. She kinda, sorta dared me to get onto Tumblr, a microblogging site, and I kinda sorta replied,

"Why? Because email/Twitter/Facebook/3 blogs/Website/LinkedIn/Google/Pinterest/forums aren't hacking it as enough social media in my life?"

Ha ha ha.

And then, I stopped laughing. Because I joined Tumblr.

I resisted for so long because I didn't get Tumblr. You reblog other people's content? What for? Aren't I doing enough already? Won't it be too much to keep up with? Am I too creaky for tumbling? Will it give me a headache? What else could I possibly blog or microblog about that matters? Will this do anything for my platform as a YA sci-fi writer?

So here's what I decided. I joined Tumblr for the following reasons:

1. It's easy. The idea of reblogging other people's content means I can post "new" content on my Tumblr blog without much work. It can be audio, visual, quotes, video, anything. The time commitment is very little. Sometimes with my blog here, it can take hours to write a single Blogger post. Also, I decided that if I'm picking up a new social media site, I'm going to make it super low-key and low-stress. No set schedule, just Tumblr new stuff whenever I feel like it. And it's linked automatically to post to Twitter when I publish anything.

2. It hits a different readership. Right now, The Word is My Oyster is really a blog for writers and the writing blogging community, less so for readers. The Class of 2k13 aims to hit readers, librarians, teachers, and readers, but focuses on the books themselves much of the time. The League of Extraordinary Writers is more a science-fiction writer's blog, but I only post there once a month.

3. It has different content than anything else I do. My tumblr blog is going to be more about getting my geeky science side satisfied.

4. Visiting other people's Tumblr sites is so easy. On the dashboard of my Tumblr, I just scroll down to see new stuff in a flash. And that, in a nut shell, is why Tumblr is so fantastic--it's quick, visually and mentally, for both reader and bloggers.

So if you're on Tumblr, come stop by! My Tumblr blog is called Geekery. :)  If you follow me, I'll follow you. :)

http://lydiaykang.tumblr.com/

Have you tumblr'd lately?

33 comments:

Elizabeth Seckman said...

See, I'm still trying to get the hang of Twitter...still trying to find my niche on Pinterest. Buuuuttt- I am a social networking tramp so I am willing to try it out.

See you over there.

Old Kitty said...

Eh!?!? What are these new worlds and words?!!? LOL!! Amazing!! Take care
x

mooderino said...

I'm on tumblr. I mostly put up writing posts from my blogger. There are lots of writers on their but it's a completely different audience (much younger). I also get to know what the latest trends and fandoms are (whether I want to or not).

Now following your tumblr too.

mood

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm not on Tublr. I need to get on Twitter first. Not sure I want to join another site that's going to take more of my time but the younger audience sounds intriguing. Keep us posted.

Mrs. Silverstein said...

I had kind of the same experience--I resisted and resisted but then I just fell into it. Really my Tumblr is just for fun, though, and when I'm busy I go days without even opening Tumblr. I do enjoy the extent to which it enables me to be a big nerd, though.

Taylor Lynn said...

I'm not on Tumblr myself, but lately I've been wondering if maybe I should try it out. I like the idea of being able to easily share online media I love, from blog posts to photos to videos and so on. I'm glad you're enjoying it--I'll definitely have to consider creating my own! :)

Linda Gray said...

Interesting! I see the appeal with the younger audience. I imagine it can be effective to reach that audience, especially if it becomes an add-on place they see your message (or they add on a different medium to find you as a result of seeing you on Tumblr)

Shelly said...

Heck, I can't even figure out Pinterest and would probably get even more lost with Tumblr, but if ever I am on there, I will look you up!

Clarissa Draper said...

I'm not on that site but I do want to reach readers and not only writers so I'm tempted.

Misha Gericke said...

Never tried it, but you have me intrigued... Hm.

Karen Lange said...

I'm going to have to check it out. I wasn't sure what it was and hadn't taken the time to visit. Thanks for the info. Will look you up when I get there! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If it's low-key and easy, I might have to check it out. Wonder how many other science fiction blogs on on Tumblr?

Barbara Watson said...

I've avoided Tumblr too (and Pinterest) because...I can only do so much. But I like the way you describe it, and maybe I need a second look.

Linda Gray said...

p.s. forgot to say---I just caught up with your BIG NEWS! So many congratulations!!!! This is fantastic, and reading about your new book deal made me smile :))) (like that)

nutschell said...

i've been curious about Tumblr for awhile now. Thanks for this enlightening post!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Carrie Butler said...

This reminds me of the Tumblr musical John Green's brother, Hank, did with AVByte! :D

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Posting others' content is less work. But it is mini-size.

There are too many demands on my dwindling free time as it is. I fear I will have to let other tumble over Tumblr.

You need a little fun. If it's fun for you, go for it. :-)

lbdiamond said...

LOL! Sounds fun!

JEFritz said...

Have I Tumblr'd? Only all the time :) It is fun, isn't it?

Southpaw said...

Oh no! Not something more.

Leigh Covington said...

oh man! I haven't done this yet, and have no idea how it works but apparently I might have to check it out!

Cynthia said...

I'm not on Tumblr, but I've heard of it! I'm still getting used to Twitter...

Bathwater said...

It still sounds like an over indulgence in information. I try to limit my use to what I think I will actually use.

Facebook only gets used for stalking purposes for goodness sake. I think in this day and age the old saying "Ignorance is bliss," is taking on a whole new meaning. Ignorance of all useless social information, leads to a blissful existence.

LTM said...

ooo! I'll follow you! I joined Tumblr a long, LONG time ago, but I've hardly ever used it. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing there--LOL! :D

I need to probably hang out more and get the feel. I think it's coming around again~ <3

DL Hammons said...

Still not sold on it. Heck...I consider Twitter a necessary evil!! :)

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

I think my hands are full enough right now with blogging, FB and Twitter. And, when I have time, I actually like writing my own posts. I tend to tweet others' posts or share them on FB. With the time that's left, I really, really, REALLY need to just write. :-)

Lindsey Sablowski said...

I might follow you on Tumblr!
It was a while before I joined Tumblr; I had heard about it, but I didn't get what the point of it was, and I thought, "Eh, it can't be that much different from anything else I already have." Now my friends make fun of me because I can't get off of Tumblr. I just love the atmosphere of it, and my blog on there feels like my own little diary with photos and quotes and so forth that I can just blog away. I feel like it's the one site where everybody accepts your blog for what it is :)

Kelly Polark said...

Tumblr does sound cool but I've avoided that and pinterest because they would be another time suck. I have no self control! ;)

Elizabeth Varadan aka Mrs. Seraphina said...

Lydia, thanks for the kind thoughts when you stopped by my blog.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I haven't ventured on tumblr or pintrest...yet. :)

Love the name of your Tumblr blog. <3

akossiwaketoglo.com said...

I've been avoiding tumblr for the same reasons too, but maybe I should give it a try after all.
I just need to decide on what mine should be about.

~Akoss

Kristen Wixted said...

Now you've got Barbara Watson on tumblr and I know Sarah FIne is, and I am feeling like I need to check it out. Giving myself a deadline of summer.

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Ciri Dan Tanda Anak Terkena Pelecehan Seksual
Cara Menghilangkan Noda Hitam Di Wajah Bekas Jerawat
Obat Sakit Bernafas Dan Berbunyi
Obat Tumor Rahang Dan Gigi Atas Bawah
Obat Kanker Payudara Yang Menyerang Ke Tulang
Hilangkan Batuk Filek Dengan Jahe
Obat Untuk Menjaga Lambung Agar Tetap Sehat
Cara Alami Menghilangkan Nyeri Dada Saat Bernafas
Cara Memutihkan Selangkangan Secara Alami
Obat Infeksi Akut Di Kepala Dan Leher