Friday, December 14, 2012

Deja Vu Blogfest: The Wishbone Theory


Hey guys. This blogfest come courtesy of DL Hammons, who puts the AWESOME in RECYCLE. (Did you just go, "Uh, that makes no sense. There is no such word as REAWSOMECYCLE." Well, there is now.)

The purpose of this blogfest is to repost an old post that you think deserve another shot in the spotlight. So here you go! 

*****

December 1, 2010

After Thanksgiving, we dissected out the wishbone and dutifully gave it to our two eldest kids to snap.

You know the deal. Whoever gets the bigger half is gifted with a wish that will come true. (Which I have other issues with, by the way. I mean, thirty years later, I still can't fly like Superman. What's up with that?)

I digress. Anyway, I steeled myself for comforting the loser. After all, life is about all kinds of losses, right? In the words of large-mouthed English rockers, you can't always get what you want.

Anywho, they gritted their teeth and pulled. And this is what happened:



One of the "arms" got broken after the fact, but in essence, the two sides were equal. I was thrilled. And then I had a wishbone epiphany.

Why would our dream come at the cost of another's?

It shouldn't.

Which brings me back to writing and the machine that is the publishing world. We hear weekly about our writing friends' good fortune. A book sold, an agent snagged, a new novel e-pubbed with the masses downloading quickly in the nanoseconds of a mouse click.

But. This shouldn't take away from our own hopes and aspirations. Because I think the Wishbone Theory sucks.

Our own hopes shouldn't be lessened by the success of others.

Maybe we should have a "Wishbone Chucking" ceremony after Thanksgiving, to toast to hopes and wishes.

All in favor, say, "Chuck away!"

*****

Thanks for stopping by. It's not every day that a wishbone breaks like that
 and teaches me a lesson!

Click here for the list of all the blogfest participants.

33 comments:

Cynthia said...

Saying hello from Deja Vu! I totally agree that more than one person can be successful in a given thing. I've observed that people who feel inadequate but aren't willing to admit it are the ones who tend to be bitter about others' successes.

Shelly said...

Loved this anecdote, and yes, it is so true. Fun blogfest topic-

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome post Lydia. And so true. We can all have success. It's a great thing to remembere.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Wonderful post -- and a wonderful sentiment. The Wishbone Theory would make a good book title, too.

Em said...

This is one of the things I like about the modern world (for writers) I'm going to be self-publishing (e-publishing) and I love that it takes the whole feeling of competition out of it.

This is a great post and so true. There's room, and need, for everyone's dreams!

Old Kitty said...

I do so remember this post! Hoorah for the wishbone! Take care
x

mooderino said...

A valuable piece of insight.

mood
Moody Writing

Chris Fries said...

Great do-over post.

And absolutely -- there's not a limited pool of "success" out there. If you get some, it doesn't mean there's less for me.

;^)

So much success to you!!!

B.E. Sanderson said...

Awesome post for your do-over, Lydia. And what a great lesson to learn from such an unexpected place. Who'd have thought a wishbone could break like that?

Miranda Hardy said...

So glad you reported this. I enjoyed your wishbone theory and may never pull a wishbone apart again!

SA Larsenッ said...

So, so true! I'll second Miranda; I'm glad you reposted this one. It's a great reminder that we each have our own paths in life, love, and publication.

E.J. Wesley said...

Loved this post! (Actually think I commented on the original ... maybe ... *brain pain*)

Why I love it: Be yourself, follow your own path, and live the life YOU are meant to live = much happiness. A great/powerful message hidden in something simple is what storytelling is all about, no?

Now I need more coffee. :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Excellent choice to repost! Our dreams don't come at the cost of someone else's. There is room in this world for all of them to come true.

DL Hammons said...

I love this Lydia!! Excellent choice for re-posting. You done good girl!! :)

Thank you for participating with us today!

Maurice Mitchell said...

Great post and glad to see it. You know I believe that our dreams don't have to come at the expense of others. At least they shouldn't. Real deep thoughts Lydia.

michelle said...

Wonderful re-post.
There's a very important message contained in a simple wishbone. Every individual has to follow his own path, which is different... unique... unlike any other person's; and every writing journey is important, whether it be a 3-month journey, or a 33-year writing journey...
I'm visiting from the Deja-vu blogfest.

Arlee Bird said...

May everyone's dreams come true--so long as they are good worthwhile dreams.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I LOVE this post. You used an unusual bone-breaking incident to come up with wonderful insight and a great analogy about writing... and really, about life in general. Great job.

JJ said...

Great post! I am now your newest follower from the blogfest.

Denise Covey said...

I've been in a couple of Deja Vu blogfests, but missed this one - probably when I was tapping out NaNo. Love the post. A great lesson from wishbone snapping.

Jenny said...

Great post. I love that you learned a lesson from a wishbone. And thanks for sharing!

mshatch said...

Excellent post! Glad I got to see it :)

Shannon Lawrence said...

You're right, that wishbone theory really does suck! It always leaves someone disappointed.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Rachna Chhabria said...

Great post Lydia.

Assm Khan said...

Wonderful post... :)

Visit my blog--> A Happier Life

Cindy Dwyer said...

So true! There is no limit on the amount of success, happiness or dreams the world can hold.

lbdiamond said...

An excellent post!

Karen Lange said...

Lessons are everywhere, aren't they? Thanks for sharing this one. :)

Guilie said...

Awesome post, Lydia. Indeed, if we focus on abundance instead of scarcity--the more the merrier, there's room for everyone, etc., instead of your gain is my loss type mentality--chances are abundance will generously shine on us, too. Agreed. Chuck away :)

Samantha Vérant said...

Chuck Away, Lydia! Still, I'm hopeful. Maybe one day you'll be able to fly like Superman! Have a fab holiday season!

Meilleurs voeux-

sam

Jai Joshi said...

Thanks so much for finding a way to do something about the tragedy. Thank you.

Jai

LTM said...

I'm pretty sure i saw this post the first time around, but I love it even more today! What a lovely, perfect, inspirational, TRUE observation! And so great for everyone to remember.

I hate that I missed this blogfest. I always enjoy it.

Have a super, Merry Christmas, my friend!!! :o) <3

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Indra Bekti Dan Saipul Jamil Dikabarkan Pelecehan Seksual
Obat Untuk Membunuh Bakteri Dan Virus Dalam Tubuh
Rahasia Cantik Dari Kim Kardashian
Obat Herbal Infeksi Ginjal
Obat Pelancar Susah Bab
Obat Herbal Sakit Kepala Berat
Obat Pendarahan Kanker Serviks
Obat Kerusakan Jaringan Syaraf
Obat Tratak Atau Bercak Putih Pada Anak Dan Bayi
Obat Hidrosepalus Anak