Thursday, November 29, 2012

Photo Shoot Photos! And some advice.

They're here!

So the photo shoot was in September. After tossing out, oh, maybe a thousand of bad shots where I looked either drunk (I wasn't drinking), like the Joker from the first Batman movie (me + Jack Nicholson + makeup = scary), or just plain bizarre (oh god, THAT is what I really look like when I smirk?), I have the leftovers.

Which I'm pretty happy about. So here they are!










Okay, five is enough. That last one, my sister thinks is hilarious because she says I'm channeling a flamenco dancer (not my goal). Mostly, I like it because the field we were shooting in was so pretty! It really was that dreamy-gorgeous.

My author photo will likely be plucked from one of the middle three pictures. 

So what did I learn about doing author photos? (Much of which was given as advice to me in September--thank you!)

  1. Timing. Never aim to do photos during a midwest heat wave (had to reschedule that one). Fall and Spring are great times if you're aiming for outdoors (which is when photographers often get booked, so book ahead.) We also did a late afternoon shoot--the lighting was very forgiving.
  2. Bring sturdy shoes in case you have to walk in rough areas (that pretty dell we photographed in? It was steep, rocky, and I had to walk around it in heels. Felt like some dystopian fashion nightmare. I am amazed I didn't break an ankle.)
  3. A hair stylist is not a bad idea. I am SO glad someone else did my hair that day. It never looks that good!
  4. Makeup. Wow, does the camera wash out color! If I could do it over again, I'd wear a tiny bit more eye makeup and mascara. I thought I caked it on. I was wrong. I did, however, have fun playing with makeup the week before the shoot.
  5. Clothes. White tops wash you out if you're in your 30's or older age set and have pale skin. None of my white shirt photos looked good. It's no coincidence that my top three author photo contenders all feature the same, simple dark top. Know what works well for you (particularly as far as necklines go) and stick to it. Bring a few changes of clothes. More than three, and you'll spend a lot of time seeking on-site bathrooms or flashing too many passer-bys in your car. Many photographers will have a limit on how many clothing changes, as it is a time-suck for the actual shoot.
  6. Do a combo of big smiles, no smiles, and small smiles. My big smiles looked horrendous--wrinkles and psychotic happiness, check! And my no-smiles made me resemble a murderess. Glad I had plenty to choose from. 
  7. Sleep well and eat healthily the few days before. Go easy on the salt and stay well hydrated. Diet reasonably. The shoot was surprisingly tiring. I would have officially entered Bilbo Baggins territory if I'd been sleep deprived. Some people like to lose weight before a shoot,  but it's not wise to crash diet or you might resemble a dried mushroom that day. Gradual weight loss is better (and healthier!).
  8. Pricing/rights. My photographer was affordable for me and most importantly, she and I own dual rights to all image reproduction. I also got a copy of all the proofs and got a set of thirty edited photos. All are high resolution. Ask if you will have digital (web use) AND print rights (book jackets, promotional material), and how much it will cost. Most photographers will charge a sitting fee (for the actual shoot) but if you forget to ask, you might not realize that the actual image use is extra (sometimes in the hundreds to thousands of dollars per image, and sometimes only for a specified period of time).
  9. Don't freak out about the zits. I have one word of balm for this stress: Photoshop. Yay!
Phew. I am so glad that is over! Big hugs to Chelsea Donoho Photography for doing such a fabulous job! 

And thank you, my dear readers and Twitter friends, for all your advice back in September! 

65 comments:

Tez Miller said...

I like #3 the best, where you're looking up :-)

Laura Josephsen said...

You are gorgeous! :D The photo shoot sounds exhausting, but you got some awesome shots from it.

Alesa Warcan said...

You came out looking like a movie star! : j
Next thing you know:
- your book will go viral
- a famous director will fawn over your picture
- he will cast you in his magical-realism film or better yet, on the film version of one of your own stories! : D

Krispy said...

I love them! You look so pretty, and the last one is so dreamy beautiful. You do NOT look flamenco dancer-y at all.

I think the middle 3 are great choices for Author Photos, but my favorite of the 3 is the first one taken from the angle. You're set though with whatever you choose. :)

Oh and your top/dress in the very first picture is so cute! I love the colors and pattern!

Jeremy Bates said...

If I were you, I'd opt for the 3rd of the 3 pics. The others chop your head off.

The photographer didn't have a makeup artist on hand? That's off. Every time I ever did a photo shoot there were gads of people for every need.

Yeah, stick with #3.

Scarlet Wilson said...

Great pics. My favourite is the first of the middle three, would look perfect on a book jacket!

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey,

I'm going with #4 that I think is really classy. You look (and I'm sure you *do*) like you know what you're doing i.e. great writing, so I would pick up the book with that pic.

PS... Having read your post, I already feel sorry for the poor photog who is ever tasked with making me look good... no, I *pity* them :)

Shelley Munro said...

You take a lovely photo. I like the first one, I think. It's hard to choose. Great advice too. Who knew there was so much to think about!

Sophia Chang said...

I have that anthro dress

I hate you (it's good when other girls hate you)

I like the first and last ones best - they showcase your personality and are unique and you look super pretty

Jessica Bell said...

You are absolutely stunning :-)

Shelly said...

Beautiful pics- you have some great ones to choose from~

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have thought of much of it.

All the pictures are great. My favorites are 1 & 4.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No heels in a field - check! Will pass on the makeup though.
I like the second one best.

Connie Keller said...

The photos look so great!! Congratulations!

Did you celebrate with a salt laden treat afterwards? I hope so.

Mrs. Silverstein said...

These look great! I totally thought I was gonna come in here and have a strong opinion about which one you should use but then I did the thing where my strong opinion shifted from one to the other to the next until I had moments of thinking, "Duh, that one!" about all five. So, can't lose!

Em-Musing said...

Beautiful! The last one, though you can't see you face, is so atmospheric...it has to be used somewhere.

B.E. Sanderson said...

Great shots, Lydia. You look gorgeous in all five. I suspect the shots you think look awful probably look good, too. I can't wait to see one on the back of your book. =o)

Jaime Loren said...

They're gorgeous! YOU'RE gorgeous, Lydia! I told you all that gagging was unnecessary! ;)

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the first four. And while I do love the fifth, we can't see your face. How will fans know who to stalk once you become famous? :P

Anne Gallagher said...

Lovely, simply lovely.

Liz Fichera said...

All, gorgeous!

Angela V. Cook said...

Those photos are fantastic! You look beautiful :)

Thanks for the tips (#6 had me chucling out loud ;)

Angela V. Cook said...

"chuckling" that is ;)

storyqueen said...

these are so pretty! I really like the 4th shot...there's just something about it.

Louise Bates said...

All fantastic photos! I will have to remember your advice when the time comes for me to do a photo shoot. Especially the one about makeup - that's really not something I would have considered. Making a mental note!

Miranda Hardy said...

Those are great shots, but I knew they would be. Wonderful key points on the photo shoot.

Bathwater said...

Image use is extra? Wow that would suck. I like the third one also.

Jaime Morrow said...

Wow! These look fantastic! Lots to choose from for an author photo. :)

mshatch said...

I like #4 and #5. Very pretty! And fabulous advice :)

Angela Brown said...

I love your field photo most of all. Something very demure about the tilt of your head. And that gorgeous backdrop is spectacular :-)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I especially like the last three (and that red is stunning!).

Peggy Eddleman said...

Such great tips! And your pics turned out GORGEOUS. You can't go wrong, no matter which one you choose!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I like your "field of dreams" shot myself. I like the first one the best. The tips are great. Only success for your book!

Michael Offutt, Speculative Fiction Author said...

I say this from the heart, you are a stunningly beautiful woman.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Gorgeous. And your sense of humor makes you even more stunning.

A Lady's Life said...

I like the second and 4rth one

Barbara Watson said...

These are terrific.

February Grace said...

They're all gorgeous!

mooderino said...

I think the flamenco one looks cool.

mood
Moody Writing

Saumya said...

Wow, these are all stunning. Congrats!! I like #2 and #4 for a book but all of them are lovely. Your advice is wonderful as well! I never would have thought of most of that.

Deb Salisbury said...

You look great in all five! I'm particularly fond of the first one, though.

Ghenet Myrthil said...

These are gorgeous shots! You look great. :) You can't go wrong with any of them but I think I like #2 and #3 the best.

Emy Shin said...

You look so gorgeous in all these photos! Of the 3 middle ones, my personal favorite is number 2. :)

Romance Reader - Nas said...

All the photos are gorgeous! I like the first one.

alice-jane said...

These look great! I like the 2nd and third ones the best. Also, I'm digging the vintage feel of the last one.

Carrie Butler said...

You look fantastic, Lydia! I'm so jealous of your author photos. You have so many great ones to choose from! :)

(Mine, on the other hand, makes me look like a career tribute. LOL)

bethchristopher.com said...

My gracious, I'm glad I don't have to choose. They're all so lovely. You are beautiful inside and out, Lydia. Can't wait to see the pic on the jacket cover!

Bryan Russell said...

Definitely #4 for the author photo, but you should get a large print of #5, frame it, and hang it up someplace. Just sayin'.

Christina Farley said...

These all came out so well. You must be thrilled with them. And I love your advice here. Great tips.

JEFritz said...

Nice! Very authorly. Those five came out great and you never have to speak of the other ones again.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I like the middle three pictures a lot. You look gorgeous Lydia.

Thanks for the tips. Will keep them in mind.

Karen Lange said...

They are beautiful, just like you! Thanks for sharing them with us, and thanks for the tips! :)

Melissa Sarno said...

You look so lovely, Lydia : ) I love the middle ones too. And great tips...I hope to have an author photo someday!

Jennifer Hillier said...

These are all FANTASTIC! Hard to imagine you could ever take a bad picture. Thanks for posting tips, I will remember these when I redo my author photo next year.

Oh, and I think my fave is the second one. There's an intimacy about it that draws me in. :)

Christie Wright Wild said...

Beautiful!!! I like #2 the best. Congrats!

roro said...

AWESOME

Kelly Polark said...

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!

How are you going to choose? They are all so beautiful!!!
I swear in number three you look like a sweet teenager!

Great advice, too. My dad is a photographer so when I did my last photo shoot, luckily I was very comfortable to be myself and goofy if I wanted because I my dad was taking the photos.

Giora said...

For me photo #1 is the best. Not only you are very pretty, you have a wonderful smile and you look younger and with more energy. Photo #1 makes people want to come closer and see more of you.

Kerri Cuev said...

They are all great. I really like the poses of 2 and 3 if that helps. How exciting!

Heather said...

These pictures are gorgeous! You look stunning and they'll make beautiful author photos.

Angela Ackerman said...

Lydia, these are fantastic! wow, you look so amazing in all of these! Now the hard part...which to choose for your book? :)

Jai Joshi said...

You look lovely! I'm so glad it went ok for you but I knew it would.

I'd choose the middle pic for your official author pic, you look adorable in it!

Jai

city said...

thanks for sharing.

Angela Felsted said...

Wow, Lydia. You look amazing!

Cynthia said...

These are all such pretty pictures! I like #2 the best, but any one you go with will be fine.

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Jarak Berhubungan Intim Setelah Melahirkan
Bakteri Dan Virus Bisa Sebabkan Anak Diare
Cara Pemesanan Glucoberry Dan Glucocoa
Cara Mengatasi Masalah Buang Air Besar Tidak Lancar
Tips Ramuan Pencegah Penyakit Organ Kewanitaan