Thursday, November 15, 2012

Beta Crits, Weetabix, Chicken 'n grits

I've had the title for this blog post in my draft folder for over a year and a half. After all this time, I've forgotten why I titled the post like this.

(I know, I know. This is probably a sign that I ought to be sleeping more. Or that I need an MRI of my brain. Or some vitamin CS (common sense).)

But anyway, onto Beta Crits, or having your writing critically reviewed by someone else before it can be seen by special someones--agents, editors, the money-spending public.  I think the funnest thing about having Beta readers is that it means, by definition, I am the Alpha reader. Makes me want to bark and howl, just a tiny bit.


Because I'm not really Alpha-ish about anything. On bad hair and zit days, I do feel Alpo-ish, though.

Next:

Weetabix. 


Nekkid Weetabix above; cooked Scrapple below. (Notice how the parsley makes the dish so much more...socially acceptable.)


What can I say about Weetabix? I have never met a Weetabix in person, but if I did, I would have this enormous urge to chuck it at someone. It would be a great food of the Apocalypse. You could eat it, use it as bricks to rebuild whole cities, or throw it at mutant zombie LOLCats.

Notice how much it resembles Scrapple (a mid-Atlantic food item consisting of filler, shunned pork bits, and more filler. I have eaten this many times. It tastes like some sort of low-brow paté mixed with already-been-chewed tortilla chips.)

So yeah, I think fried Scrapple and Weetabix might be long lost BFFs. Just my take on it.

Chicken 'n grits. I have very little to say about this last one except that it need to get into my stomach, and fast.

(Was this post random? Maybe. I did play "Let's say non sequiturs while we eat breakfast today" with my kids, so I think I kind of got infected like that.)

23 comments:

mooderino said...

It rhymes so can't be random. I think it's called poetry.

mood

Mark K said...

Personally, I think you're losing the plot :)
Beta readers, eh? Mark me down as one. As for Weetbix, I find that they quite often give me acid reflux, something I seem to have made a speciality since hitting my 40s. Regarding your last item - never heard of it, so I can't comment, sorry :(

Still love your illustrations and (seriously) think they could fit in perfectly with a children's story book. Something worth considering, maybe? ;)

Shelly said...


I agree with mooderino- looks like poetry to me. And Weetabix? I think it somehow stands for appetite suppressant...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have both test readers and critique partners! One can never have too much help.
So after the apocalypse, we'll still have cockroaches, Twinkies, and Weetabix, huh?

Old Kitty said...

I'm yet to meet "grits" in person! Take care
x

Meredith said...

I have never heard of Weetabix, but I think I'm scared of it. :) Happy Thursday, Lydia!

B.E. Sanderson said...

Ewww to both the Weetabix and the Scrapple. It's too early to think about pre-chewed food. Not that big a fan of grits either. Bleh.

Cute post, though. ;o)

Connie Keller said...

I've never heard of Weetabix--though it looks a little like cooked Spam. I had quite a bit of Spam in high school--we lived in Hawaii and it was popular in stir fries. I've never had Spam since. I don't miss it.

storyqueen said...

Weetabix---ewwww! It looks like the bottom of a sandal or something. Or something made from wood.

I would probably eat the chicken and grits, though not the beta crit.

Taylor Lynn said...

Haha, this was completely random...and therefore hilarious and unexpected! Can't say I've ever heard of (or seen) Weetabix before, but I'm going to have to agree with storyqueen...I'm not sure it quite looks like something edible. ;)

I haven't gotten to the point where I need beta readers yet, but I'm looking forward to eventually getting a few. :) Possibly family members, since I feel like I could trust them to tell me honestly what they think...and also, I wouldn't have to search them out. Honestly, I'm not sure where I'd be able to find beta readers...out of curiosity, how did you find/meet yours?

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I have an alpha reader. She is my favorite reader, she loves everything I write and protects my sensitive writer psyche like a pit bull.

Barbara Watson said...

Ahhhh, those Beta Crits. Some say this, some say that. What to do now with the this and that? :-)

Karen Lange said...

You know, I never did get the point of grits, but then, I wasn't raised in the south so maybe that's why. Scrapple was much beloved by my grandparents and other relatives (who are from PA Dutch country). Never got the hang of that either, although never tried it with the parsley. As for Weetabix, haven't met any in person. Not looking too anytime soon...

Have a great weekend!

Richard said...

Fish and grits, yes; chicken and grits, no.

alexia said...

Ha, I love random. Nicely done :)

bethchristopher.com said...

In all my born days, I've never heard of scrapple. Or is it capitalized? (Scrapple?) You're always educating me!

lbdiamond said...

Hahaha! Random yet so...profound. ;)

Rachna Chhabria said...

I have just 2 crit partners, no beta readers yet.

akossiwaketoglo.com said...

I have yet to experience having beta readers and I can't wait.
Now for a random post, it sure made me laugh a little. :)

~Akoss

nutschell said...

haha! This post certainly gave me some much needed giggles today. Never met a weetabix in person myself,so I'm curious to try!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Heather said...

That does NOT look appetizing. *shudders* And hey, random is good. ;) Keeps it interesting.

Nas said...

Loved your random post today. It was fun read!

Eva Inka Nurmaisya said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Jarak Berhubungan Intim Setelah Melahirkan
Bakteri Dan Virus Bisa Sebabkan Anak Diare
Cara Pemesanan Glucoberry Dan Glucocoa
Cara Mengatasi Masalah Buang Air Besar Tidak Lancar
Tips Ramuan Pencegah Penyakit Organ Kewanitaan