Friday, December 9, 2011

Author Spotlight: Dawn Miller

Welcome Dawn to our Author Spotlight. Her book, Larkstorm, just went live on December 6th. Here we go!

What advice do you have for people who want to self-publish?

Take things slowly and treat it as a business. I believe all writers – self-published or not – need to be familiar with the business side of publishing. Just like a business should never open its doors without a plan, a writer shouldn’t throw a book up on the internet without having goals and a plan for reaching them.

Marketing is an absolute necessity because you can write the most amazing book ever, but if no one knows about it, then it’s not going to sell. Selling on the internet, we don’t have the luxury of the casual bookshelf browser – we need to let people know our books exist.



How do you manage to do so much in 24 hours?

I don’t sleep. At least that’s the rumor. In reality, I wake up around 4:30 or 5am everyday and either go for a run or go to the gym. I home school my oldest son – a 5th grader – while my other two boys are at school. My afternoons consist of carpools, sports practice, homework and dinner. I put my children to bed at 7pm and typically write until around 11. Since I have an iPhone, I do much of my social networking and email on the go.



Is there a different genre you might like to try and write someday?

Larkstorm is a dystopian fantasy crossover, and while I love writing those genres, I wrote a contemporary boy POV romance I hope someday sees the light of day. I also ghostwrite a commercial contemporary YA series and absolutely love it. So, short answer: I’d like to write contemporary.



What is something about yourself that most people don’t know or would be surprised to know?

I’m dyslexic and have a difficult time reading out loud. I stumble over words and struggle with simple pronunciations. But, like I tell my son who is also dyslexic, that doesn’t mean we can’t write, or tell stories, or speak in public. We just have to work harder. And I think that makes success all the more sweet.


In the years following the destructive Long Winter, when half the world’s population perished, the State remains locked in battle against the Sensitives: humans born with extra abilities. 



As one of the last descendants of the State’s Founders, seventeen-year-old Lark Greene knows her place: study hard and be a model citizen so she can follow in her family’s footsteps. Her life’s been set since birth, and she’s looking forward to graduating and settling down with Beck, the boy she’s loved longer than she can remember. 



However, after Beck is accused of being Sensitive and organizing an attack against Lark, he disappears. Heartbroken and convinced the State made a mistake, Lark sets out to find him and clear his name. 



But what she discovers is more dangerous and frightening than Sensitives: She must kill the boy she loves, unless he kills her first.

33 comments:

Sarah Pearson said...

Good grief, Dawn sounds like a busy woman! I love the blurb for this book. It's definitely going on my list :-)

Em-Musing said...

Wow! Kill the boy she loves before he kills her...now THAT'S what I call tension. Sounds like a great read.

salarsenッ said...

Very interesting cover, Dawn! Looks amazing. Congrats on your release. Here's to all your success.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing Dawn about how you squeeze everything in. Love your cover and your book sounds awesome. Good luck.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, a dyslexic author - now that is quite an accomplishment.
There's a rumor that I don't sleep either, but really, I do!

Old Kitty said...

What a beautiful cover! Stunning!! Nice to meet you Dawn!! All the best and good for you! Take care
x

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I don't know how she manages to write while homeschooling her son. That can't be easy.

Brilliant point about the business plan. My favorite quote is: "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail". This is so true when it comes to publishing, especially when you self-publish. The onus is on the writer, and the writer who doesn't have a business plan isn't going to do as well as the one who does.

Karen Lange said...

It's great to meet Dawn, thanks Lydia, for the intro! Thanks also for the peek at the book. Have a great weekend!

shelly said...

Fellow dyslecic here. There's another one of us. Cool!

The book looks like a cool read, too.

Emy Shin said...

Thank you for sharing with us, Dawn! I can't imagine how you homeschool your son, write, and market at the same time. That's really amazing.

And I've been looking forward to LARKSTORM since I first saw the cover. I didn't realize it's been released. I'll be buying my copy as soon as I get home!

Suze said...

Dawn Rae sounds like a solid, methodical person-- the type who would inevitably meet her goals through determination and good sense. Kudos to that.

julie fedderson said...

I'm still amazed she can get three boys in bed by 7pm. I need some pointers. Love the plot of Larkstorm--nothing better than those kind of stakes! Another for the TBR pile.

Emily Rose said...

Amazing interview!

Rachna Chhabria said...

Dawn sounds like a superwoman. Gosh, she works really hard. Good luck, Dawn.

Meredith said...

Oooh, I love that cover! And it sounds like such a fun book. Great interview! I can't imagine waking up voluntarily at 4:30 in the morning!

Krispy said...

Dawn is a super woman! That's a busy schedule!

Loved the cover of Larkstorm since I first saw it. Sounds like a fun read!

Darryl said...

The most daunting problem in self-publishing is marketing. I suggest a group effort at lobbying facebook to create a path for LEGITIMATE enterprises such as self-publishers in which we can REQUEST friendships. As they are structured now, they will flag such activities as spam or try to force people into expensive advertising. The truth is, most people don't mind friend requests focused toward a legitimate interest.

Matthew MacNish said...

Dystopian AND Fantasy? Yes, please.

Little Ms. Fun said...

Ok, so don't sleep and do my social networking on the go. Got it :) lol

DawnRaeMiller said...

Thanks everyone for reading the interview and all the kind words. For the record, I think I'm a genetic mutant incapable of sleeping past 5am - I've never used an alarm clock. I just wake up. Freak of nature, I am.

Cold As Heaven said...

Don't sleep, that's a good idea, to save some time. I try to do the same, and it works, at least for shorter periods.

Thanks for advice on e-publishing >:)

Cold As Heaven

farawayeyes said...

Interesting premise, beautiful cover, devoted mom, busy woman. How can you miss. Good luck.

catherinemjohnson.wordpress.com said...

I love the cover, it's beautiful and the book sounds captivating. Thanks for a great interview.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Dawn, lovely cover, interesting, intriguing plot. Lydia, just dropped in to say thanks for always having been my friend, Roland

Emily said...

What a great spotlight! This books sounds riveting!

Nancy said...

You sound very busy. I think the author Debbie Macomber is dyslexic as well. She certainly had done well as have you in writing an interesting, high stakes novel.

DawnRaeMiller said...

Sorry that I haven't posted individually, but I may have broken my wrist and typing is taking me longer than normal. However, I appreciate all they lovely comments about the cover and the premise of Larkstorm.

Lydia - Thank you so much for hosting me. You and your readers are awesome!

dawn

Romance Reader said...

Hello Dawn, Hi Lydia!

You sound so busy! And I love the sound of Larkstorm!

lbdiamond said...

LOVELY!!!!!!!!

Janet Johnson said...

Wow, sounds like an awesome book!

And it does sound a bit like you don't sleep much. ;)

Nas Dean said...

Stunning cover and sounds a wonderful book! Great to meet you Dawn.

Wish you all the best!

Lynda R Young said...

Do you mean to say there's actually a real time in the morning as 4.30 or 5? I thought it was just a rumour ;)

Fabbo interview and advice.

Adeeva Afsheen said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Tradisional Tumor Limfoma
Obat Tradisional Benjolan Di Hidung
Pengobatan Filariasis
Obat Alami Carpal Tunnel Syndrome ( CTS )
Mengobati Emboli Paru
Obat Herbal Fibromyalgia
Obat Penghilang Pusing Untuk Ibu Hamil
Obat Wasir Ibu Hamil 9 Bulan