Friday, November 4, 2011

Author Spotlight: Maranda Russell and her Ravenclawish Tendencies

Weeeeelllllccccommmmeee! (Hmm. I sound like Mrs. Which from A Wrinkle in Time.) Say hello to Maranda! Isn't that a great picture? Where can I get a hat like that? Should I stop asking questions so we can get on with the interview? Yes? Okay.

1. If you decided to self-publish, what was the final push that allowed that decision?
I have been published traditionally and more recently, done some self-publishing. I think the reason I decided to do some self-publishing is because I like having full control over the process. I like getting to decide what goes and what stays, what the graphics look like, and how much it costs. Self-publishing wasn't very practical when it was so expensive, but now that ebooks can be self-published for free, the only investment you have to make is your time, hard work and the ability to market your books yourself.


2. How do you juggle your personal life with writing?
It is a challenge sometimes. I used to work as a substitute teacher, take care of foster kids and write. Now I have had to cut back on the teaching and focus primarily on my responsibilities as a foster parent and on my writing career. Writing and foster parenting are what I am most passionate about, so it doesn't feel like such a sacrifice when I have to go above and beyond the call of duty for either.


3. Do you snack when you write? And what is that snack?
I do snack when I'm writing, especially when the words aren't coming easily or I get stuck. When I am in the flow I can get so carried away I even miss meals, but that only happens occasionally. My favorite writing snacks are definitely sweets: candy, ice cream, cookies, sugary cereal, etc.


4. Which Harry Potter House would you be sorted into?
Probably Ravenclaw.

(I'm going to interrupt for a *squee* moment. I think I'm a Ravenclaw too!)

I'm not courageous or always hard-working, in fact I can be downright lazy. I can be ambitious, so maybe Slytherin, but I am more intellectual, so I figure Ravenclaw would be the best fit. I am in love with Severus Snape though, so I definitely wouldn't mind being placed in Slytherin!
Kaley Jergins loved her life. She had it all, the perfect family, good friends, and the talent and passion to be a great ball player. However, when tragedy strikes and the person she loves most of all is no longer there, will she ever be able to play again?

Told with warmth and feeling, this story comes from an author who knows what it is like to deal with loss at a young age. Nothing is ever the same after a tragic loss, but maybe life can go on. Includes an afterword by the author about grief and how to deal with it in a healthy way.

Available on AMAZON

Find Maranda at her blog and on Facebook!

29 comments:

Em-Musing said...

Great interview, and the story sounds heartwarming. I'll be checking it out.

Old Kitty said...

I snack big time whenever I get writer's block! Yay!

GOOD LUCK Maranda with your book. Grief and loss are always very difficult to deal with especially sensitively in fiction as they are most emotive and emotional and above all personal! So yay for you!!

Take care
x

Karen Lange said...

Thanks for introducing me to Maranda! I found her reasons for self publishing interesting and inspiring - I'm hearing other authors say the same thing too. Best wishes to Maranda on her journey!

Happy weekend! :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I love these kinds of interviews. Short and sweet, and don't involve retelling the author's life history.

Love the snacking question. Not that I snack. *nudges junk food under the desk*

Yay, Ravenclaw. Can I join the party?

Great interview, Lydia and Maranda.

Anne Gallagher said...

Great interview Lydia.

Thanks Maranda for sharing. Best wishes on the success of your book. It looks great, and is now on my list.

Little Ms. Fun said...

As a complete Harry Potter nerd, I deff smirked a little at your Ravenclaw references..haha

Love the fact that she cut down on other areas of her life to focus on her passions. That's a brave/hard thing to do sometimes. :)

Bossy Betty said...

You had me at Ravenclawish....

Love the cover of that book!

Slamdunk said...

Fun interview Lydia and Miranda.

Yea for sugary cereals! I am sure there will be a scientific study in the future that positively correlates increases in creativity to consumption of Frosted Flakes.

Bee said...

That book looks so good. And the summary just broke my heart a little book. I'm keeping the book in my mind. Will check it out.

And go, Ravenclaws! Although I think I might just be Gryffinclaw (Gryffindor + Ravenclaw) :D

Rachna Chhabria said...

Great interview with Maranda. Thanks Lydia for introducing me to another wonderful writer and her book.

Christina Lee said...

Hi Maranda--the book sounds great!!

Sugary cereals for the win (I love me some peanut butter crunch--by Captain Crunch, of course)!!!

Krispy said...

Woohoo for having a sweet tooth and for Ravenclaws! (I'm a Ravenclaw too, even according to Pottermore!) :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can see why one of those things had to go. Wish I could chuck the job as well.

Matthew MacNish said...

Oh no! This post was going so well until the end. Now I haz a sad.

Sounds like a powerful book though, thanks for having her, Lydia.

Olga said...

What an interesting post.
Lydia - Maybe I have missed something, but what is your personal attitude to self-publishing?

Carrie Butler said...

A fun photo and a great interview--what a way to start the weekend! :)

Laila Knight said...

Loved the interview. It's good that epubbing has become so easy. I'd be a Griffindor, but Snake was a total hottie and also my favorite character. It was the black outfit that did it. It sucked when he got killed off. :)

Suze said...

Have a great weekend, Lydia.

Meredith said...

Great interview! I would totally be Ravenclaw, too, even though I'd want to be Gryffindor and hang out with Luna...sigh. Have a great weekend, Lydia!

Tracy Jo said...

Great interview Lydia! Miranda's book sounds great...adding to my wish list. Thank you!

Angela Brown said...

Such a wonderful interview. Thank you Miranda and Lydia. Self publishing sounds great and is something more authors who've been traditionally published have turned to for projects they're very passionate about.

Miranda, your story sounds intriguing. Definitely have to check it out.

Amie Kaufman said...

Great ineterview! Miranda's lucky to be able to focus in the areas she's passionate about, though I know both take a lot of hard work!

Leslie Rose said...

I have such admiration for the self-publishers. So much work and so many decisions, my head swims. It's great that the opportunity exists these days. Super good luck to Maranda.

Medeia Sharif said...

Fantastic interview. Thanks for introducing me to Maranda.

KatyDid said...

Cool stuff...

If I chucked the job, I would have way less to write about...

I have to snack when I write because my brain requires pacing around the house in order to work.

lbdiamond said...

Hi, Maranda! Congrats to you!

Heather said...

I couldn't agree more about the level of control over the process. It's something authors don't get at all with traditional publishing. Thanks for introducing us to Maranda, and best of luck to her with her book!

LisaAnn said...

Great interview, Lydia, and it's awesome to meet Maranda! (I think I'd be a Hufflepuff... Hahaha!)

marandarussell.com said...

Somehow I missed commenting in this when it first came out! But I am so thrilled to see all the encouraging comments from everyone! You guys are awesome!

 
ALL CONTENT © 2012 THE WORD IS MY OYSTER / BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS