Friday, October 7, 2011

Author Spotlight: Artemis Hunt and Her Hot Alien

Hello all! I'm so happy to say I have one of my crit partners here for the Author Spotlight. Artemis Hunt (her pen name) has several books out right now. But first, the all important interview questions!

The Writing Process: How do you plot, if you’re a plotter, and how do you revise?

I'm an obsessive outliner. I outline everything, and then I show my beta. She tears through it :) (*That's me, yep, the Tear-orizer*) Then I repair what she doesn't like.

I begin to write chapter by chapter based on the outline. I get new ideas, and then the outline changes slightly, but not for the major plot points. I show chapter by chapter to my beta. She tears through them. I pick up the broken pieces.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

The Publishing Process: If you decided to self-publish, what was the final push that allowed that decision?

I really, really wanted to try it. I was reading about how many copies indie publishers sold vs when they were traditionally published, and I wanted to at least try one book while querying other books. I was a traditionally published short story collection author before this, and I had great success in the traditional publishing field. My short story collection shot up to No. 2 in the bestselling lists. I had great traction. One of my stories was serialized in a newspaper.

So I believe in the traditional publishing concept. But I also recognize the world is changing and I want to give indie e-publishing a try.

I still have agent requests on this book out there that I haven't sent. (They get so many I'm sure they won't remember whether I sent it in or not, haha!) I don't regret it so far. In my first 9 days, I sold 17 copies.

Writing Miscellany: Is there a different genre you might like to try and write someday?

I actually do write in different genres. SNOW WHITE is a fantasy/sci-fi/romance (YA). My short stories, soon to be re-released in the Kindle e-book form, are thriller/horror. Another of my finished manuscripts is a paranormal chick lit.

Random or Weird question: Do you believe in aliens?

Since I totally wrote about a drop-dead handsome one who visits Earth in order to colonize it, and ends up falling in love with Snow White, even if he thinks she's downright ugly (!), I think I do believe in them!

Rude. Opinionated. Dirty. Bug crazy.

That's how folks describe 16-year-old Snow White, who is more interested in studying insects than her own beautiful, anemic face. When her bipolar stepmother sets a price on her heart, which she'd like served with baby potatoes and Chianti, Snow White has no choice. She must outwit every studly huntsman, assassin, city guard and robber baron sent to bring her back, preferably dead, before she reaches Lapland.



20-year-old Aein is a one-winged cripple from another planet. Passionate, ridiculed, headstrong, and considered hideous in his gossamer, aerial world, he desires nothing more than to prove to his royal family that flight and beauty are overrated. He gets his one chance when he is selected to go to Earth, disguised as a 'Crawler' - who appears to us as a phenomenally handsome human youth. His mission: to pave our world for colonization and, later . . . annihilation.


The first native he stumbles upon is the fugitive Snow White.


Snow White and Aein must choose their allegiances, and fight a forbidden, growing love for each other before their worlds explosively collide.

Available on Amazon!

Connect with Artemis on Twitter and her blog!

23 comments:

Will Burke said...

What an interesting idea! You'll efinitely hit the Twilight fans, i Disney doesn't give you grief over the copyright.

Kristen said...

Hilarious premise!

WritingNut said...

I love it! Sound very interesting! Great interview guys :)

Old Kitty said...

Love the title and the blurb!! Hello Artemis Hunt! Good luck with your fun book!!! Thanks Lydia for the info and interview. Of course aliens exist! Yay! take care
x

Slamdunk said...

Fun interview Lydia.

I would think one would question the existence of aliens after having to research and read all the background to prepare for such a novel.

Rachna Chhabria said...

The book sounds cool. Great interview, Lydia!

Suze said...

I, a writer of absolutely no consequence, would like to answer the question how do I plot and revise:

With tremendous discomfort. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I outline the same way!

Matthew MacNish said...

What fun! This sounds hilarious.

Krispy said...

Well, that's a twist on the tale! Very interesting. Thanks for the interview!

Carrie Butler said...

I always look forward to these interview posts. :) The book sounds fantastic. Have a great weekend, ladies!

Olga said...

I always find out about something new and interesting in the world of books from your blog.

mshatch said...

omg, I love a twisted fairy tale.

Artemis Hunt said...

Thank you so much, guys, for your kind comments! I've put down the price to 99 cents for this promotion, and also for Frugal e-reader because my ad is coming out next week!

As for Lydia, you will see that the first dedication in my book is to her. She's my good friend, beta, taskmistress . . . I cannot say enough good things about her and her betaing.

nutschell said...

I am loving the story already. It sounds like a fun read! I also love the author's name. I think Artemis Hunt is pretty cool!

Happy weekend!

nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Artemis Hunt said...

Thank you so much, nutschell :) I love your name and avatar too.

Riya said...

I'm a huge fan of Twilight and this sounds an interesting premise!

Leslie Rose said...

Artemis sounds like a kick! Love the Snow White meets the x-files premise of the book.

Nancy said...

I like the way Artemis works with her critique partner. She sounds grumpy and then she does it.

Genres are mixing and changing so fast. What will be next?

Nas Dean said...

I like the premise, thanks for sharing Artemis!

Thank you Lydia!

LTM said...

LOL! What a GREAT premise! I especially love the humor used in describing Snow's plight. Her anemic face... *snort* :D And yep, if she likes bugs, aliens = no prob.

Good luck, A~ <3

Artemis Hunt said...

Hey, thanks, guys!

Heather said...

Now that's a story concept that makes me want to read it! And I love the title, awesome. It sounds like Artemis and I have an outlining obsession in common too!

 
ALL CONTENT © 2012 THE WORD IS MY OYSTER / BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS