Friday, September 23, 2011

Author Spotlight: JL Campbell and her Jurassic-ness

Welcome Joy to this week's Author Spotlight! And away we go...

The Publishing Process
: If you decided to self-publish, what was the final push that allowed that decision?
I have two books that are published traditionally and one scheduled to be released with another publisher later this year. My experience of having to show up everyday for the new job of plying my wares in a cycle of market-promote-market, and my willingness to try methods a publisher can’t or won’t because of financial considerations made the decision for me.


Life and Writing: How does your significant other or family feel about your writing? My husband is supportive. He’s gotten used to seeing me hunched over the keyboard at all hours of the day and night. My son has learned to be cunning. When things get out of hand, he asks ‘So, is writing and editing more important than spending time with your only child?’


Writing Miscellany: Do you fear that your ideas would dry up? I look at published writers who have 90 books and wonder how they avoid writing the same characters and stories over and over. Still, I don’t fear that my ideas will run dry because I get way too many characters who come calling. To keep up with them, what I’ve started to do is put down their story lines in a private blog. When I’m finished with the lot on my hard drive, it will be time to explore those stories. Meantime, I keep adding to that hidden blog.


(Hope they don't bust out in the middle of the night and give you insomnia. Mine are sneaky like that.)


Random or Weird question: What is your opinion on Pluto no longer being a planet? Wait! What? Pluto is no longer a planet? Now see, this is how I know I’m a dinosaur. Add my husband to the dinosaur league too. My son says ‘Well, you know, Pluto was such a small planet.” He won’t admit for a minute that he didn’t know, but then he’s only ten. Google tells me this decision was made in 2006. I think there’s some merit in these remarks my child keeps making about me living in fossil days.


(I hear you. Sometimes it's good to just own up to your inner Jurassic-ness, like I do.)

Lydia, thanks so much for hosting me on your blog.

JL, you're very welcome!


Sherryn Albright has all the trappings of success, until a secret explodes on her doorstep. Her devoted husband has fathered a child outside of their marriage. When Reece is implicated in a murder case, it is clear that he has not escaped unscathed from the mean streets of Kingston, Sherryn battles her conscience and public opinion to save her family and herself from destruction.
Available on Amazon
Come visit Joy on her blog and on Twitter!

44 comments:

Em-Musing said...

Fathered a child? Murder? Why that bastard! Oh yeah...this sounds like my kind of story! Great interview!

J.L. Campbell said...

Em, your comment made me laugh out loud. Needed an early burst of laughter.

Lydia, thanks so much for having me!

Clarissa Draper said...

Great interview! I know know my son has become cunning as well. And, I don't think I have to worry about running out of story ideas.

Creepy Query Girl said...

LOL on the Pluto question. Thanks so much for this interview! Great learning about JL Campbell and her books!

Matthew MacNish said...

Is that Kingston, Jamaica? If so that sounds awesome. I would love to read a novel set in Jamaica.

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks, Clarissa. I worry about these children. Must be the stuff they're eating that makes them so wily.

CQG - I could have felt really ashamed over not knowing that, but when I think about all the other stuff I don't know...moving right along.

Matthew, yes, I live in Jamaica. The island is small, so the stories that aren't set here happen on another island I created just for that purpose. :)

Old Kitty said...

Good luck Sherynn - sounds like you're going to be one helluva heroine!! Yay!

Hello JL Campbell!!

Take care
x

Karen Lange said...

Great interview! Thanks for the intro to Joy. :)

Happy weekend!

Stephen Tremp said...

Good luck JL with everything you have going on. Its these explosive secrets that side swipe the MC that provide the conflict for the characters. Yours sounds like a real winner.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know JL! Good luck!

Isis Rushdan said...

Nice interview! Wishing you the best, JL.

E. Arroyo said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Damyanti said...

Joy, cool interview. And your boy sounds pretty darn cute!! All the best with the self-pub venture.

Lydia, thanks for sharing Joy's answers with us :)

----
Join me at the Rule of Three Writers' Blogfest!

Slamdunk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Slamdunk said...

Let me try my comment again. I like Joy's premise and I am on the way over to check out her blog.

Have a good weekend Lydia.

J.L. Campbell said...

@Old Kitty, Sherryn does have the devil of a time sorting things out.

Waves at Karen. Nice to 'meet' you.

@Stephen, thanks for your good wishes. Oh yeah, super-size conflicts make for super-charged stories.

@ Alex, Thanks!

Thanks so much, Isis.

Elizabeth, nice to be here. Coming to see your roundup for today.

Damyanti, he's too smart for his own good.

Slamdunk, on my way to check you out. :)

Suze said...

Joy seems the perfect name for a woman with a smile like that.

Lydia Kang said...

Love having you at my blog, Joy. Thanks for sharing your new book with us!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh poo, the interview isn't showing for me. :(
But JL's books sounds great!

M Pax said...

Sounds like another great story. I've been enjoying Giving up the Dream so far.

lbdiamond said...

Wow, sounds like quite a story!

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks, Suze, that's so nice of you.

@Lydia, glad to be here, and thanks again.

Sorry about that, Jennifer. Technology on the blink again.

Mary, I'm happy to hear that.

lbdiamone, I like to think it is. :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Okay, so even dinosaurs have to get out once in a while. Off to the salon to get de-scaled. I'll be back later and will definitely be dropping in on your blogs. Thanks so much for welcoming me here.

Arlee Bird said...

Yay Joy! Another success. Hope the book does extremely well for you.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Carol Kilgore said...

Great interview!

Krispy said...

Hey, I still forget that Pluto is no longer a planet. I'm also still kind of outraged every time I hear it. Haha.

Loved the interview, ladies!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Thanks, Lydia, for being there for your friends. J. L. I wish you only the highest sales! Roland

Olga said...

A very interesting interview. One more thing to confirm how important it is for a creative person to have support from family and friends.

Ciara said...

It's nice to get to know you better JL. Lydia, my characters haunt me at all hours, also.

TirzahLaughs said...

Well he fathered a child, may be a murderer...but you know if she didn't set him on fire on the front lawn--he is either really rich, really charming or very, very good in bed.

:)

Tirz

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks, Arlee and Carol.

Krispy, I think Lydia might have scarred me for life with that knowledge.

Seriously though, I need to pay more attention to these things.

Thanks you, Roland. I appreciate your good wishes.

Olga, oh yes, so true. I'd be a whole lot more 'guilted' if they didn't understand and support my efforts.

Ciara, I think I stopped by you today or was it yesterday? Anyhow it's been good getting acquainted with you too.

J.L. Campbell said...

Tirzah, sorry I missed your comment. Reece is almost all of those things, not rich, but able to take care of his family, charming and yeah, GiB. You definitely wouldn't set a man like that alight on the front lawn. :)

Carrie Butler said...

Great interview! It's always nice to read about a familiar face. :)

Have a great weekend, ladies!

J.L. Campbell said...

Thakns for stopping in, Carrie.

J.L. Campbell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Mueller said...

Fabulous interview! Lydia, you're short sweet and super powerful, great questions.

Joy, it was nice meeting you! <3


♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

J.L. Campbell said...

Nice to meet you too, Elizabeth.

L'Aussie said...

Hi Lydia. Hi Joy. This was a lovely interview and Joy, I enJOYed learning more about you and your writing and Pluto. All the best for Dissolution!

And Lydia, congrats on snaffling an agent!

Denise

Deniz Bevan said...

Great interview! I guess I'm a dinosaur too - I mean, what are all we Scorpios supposed to do if Pluto's not a planet?
A private blog for story ideas is a great idea1!

Nas Dean said...

Great interview! Thanks Joy and Lydia!

tinadchayes said...

Nice to see Joy in the spotlight. :)

The Red Angel said...

What a great interview! I love that you've included a new Author Spotlight series on your blog, Lydia. :)

Joy, I love that idea of having a private blog to keep extra stories. I think I just might do that! It's like a digital notebook for your story ideas...what a clever and
safe place to keep them!

~TRA

http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

J.L. Campbell said...

Thanks so much for your comments. That private blog does help me not to lose story ideas. Leave them on my computer and they get lost if it crashes. Put them on the blog, I always know where they are.

Emily Rose said...

Wonderful interview!

 
ALL CONTENT © 2012 THE WORD IS MY OYSTER / BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS