Friday, September 30, 2011

Author Spotlight: Jennifer Shirk Dreams of a Big, Purple Hat

Happy Friday and please welcome Jennifer Shirk to our Author Spotlight! Okay, it's Q & A time. Off we go!

How do you develop a mental picture of your characters?
Sometimes I have an image already in my mind then I look for a name that fits that description. I recently started to look for pictures on the Internet so I can refer back to it when I’m writing about that character. It’s funny but for GEORGIE ON HIS MIND I had a clear image of Georgie with long ringlets of strawberry blonde hair like Nicole Kidman used to have in that movie Malice and that stuck.

Has an editor annihilated your absolutely favorite line in your book? Did you take it meekly or fight for your words?
My editor at Avalon didn’t want to annihilate a line but a whole scene! She went on to say how funny it was but the way it was written just didn’t fit the “family friendly” standards of Avalon. It was a scene where the heroine mistakes the hero as a condom thief. I was going to completely change it to hemorrhoid cream and really dreaded making the changes. But then my husband looked at me and said, “If you were a real writer, you would be able to make it work as is.” WHAT?! Those were fighting words so I did manage to keep it to condoms, made some really small changes, and both me and my editor were very happy in the end. So I did stick to my guns then.


Do you have a favorite social network?
My favorite social network changes with my mood—and my time. When I joined Facebook, I couldn’t get enough. Then a few months later, Twitter was becoming more and more fun to me. Now I’ve kind of gotten a renewed love of blogging again.


What's on your bucket list?
Going to the Kentucky Derby is on my bucket list! I don’t know why, but that is just something I’m dying to experience. I want to drink a mint julep and wear a one of those huge fancy hats. Last time I was in NYC I saw a beautiful purple hat for $425 that would be perfect! (I didn’t buy the hat, but hopefully someday…)


Georgie Mayer has no boyfriend and rarely goes out. In short, she needs a life. Since she's graduated college and returned back home, her brother's protectiveness has been in overdrive, and she hasn't been able to have any fun, never mind get a date.

So what's a poor particularly attractive girl to do in a situation like this? The only thing she can do: find him a woman!

He'll thank her for it in the end. That is, if his best friend Walt Somers would stop interfering with her plans. The handsome pharmacist has made no secret that he doesn't approve of what she's up to. Unfortunately, having Walt hanging around does strange things to her mind, and suddenly she can't help but take a healthy interest in him. But how can Georgie entertain thoughts of the two of them together when Walt still treats her like his best friend's little sister?

Available on Amazon!

Find Jennifer on Twitter and Facebook!

50 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

$425 for a hat?!? Sounds awesome.

What fun it is to hear you stuck to your guns, it sounds like a hilarious scene.

Old Kitty said...

Condoms is easier to write than haemorrhoids - hemoroids - haemowatsists! Yay for fighting words!!!

Thanks Lydia and hello Jennifer! Take care
x

Clarissa Draper said...

I'm glad you left the condom scene in. I'm sure it was funny! Thanks for the interview.

Kristen Painter said...

I think the Kentucky Derby would be awesome!

Connie Keller said...

I'd love to go to the Derby too. I watch it every year with a mint julep in hand.

You're book sounds great.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Yes, $425 for that hat...but it was an AWESOME hat!!!!! If I turned to quickly, I'd probably take out a few people. LOL

Stina Lindenblatt said...

This story sounds great. I love the idea of the condom thief. That's just too funny.

Lynn said...

Smart husband, encouraging you to keep the condom scene! Thanks for the interview.

Em-Musing said...

Hahaha! Condom thief? Now that's original. Great post today ladies.

salarsenッ said...

I love how you reworked that scene!! Keeping at it is what it's all about! Thanks for sharing yourself with us.

storyqueen said...

Buy the hat!

I'd love to see the Derby sometime in person. It happens to be my favorite televised sporting event...due to the fact that it is so short!

Shelley

Linda G. said...

See, hearing about that "condom thief" scene just makes me want to read the book even more. *grin*

Your hubs sounds like a keeper. :)

Linda Kage said...

Glad you kept the "condom thief" scene. It's one of my favorites!

foldingfields said...

This book sounds like so much fun! And great interview questions, Lydia. Sarah xx

p.s. glad you worked out your scene!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I'm glad I kept the scene too! :)

Thanks, Linda! That's sweet.

Ann Best said...

That's awesome that your publisher let you keep the scene--and that you fought for it, Jennifer!

I enjoyed your answers to Lydia's questions. Thanks to you both for an entertaining interview!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

Ann Best said...

p.s. This is a catchy post title! I'm lousy with titles so I'm VERY impressed!!

Anne Gallagher said...

Yes to the Derby and big purple hats. I want to go to a royal wedding to wear mine. Although not like the one Beatrice wore. That was just too outre.

Lydia Kang said...

Can I just say, I really wanted to title this blog post "Jennifer Shirk and The Condom Thief" but I was afraid people would be freaked out. Should I change it?
*evil grin*

Actually that sounds like a really screwed up, rated R Harry Potter book.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Anne: Yes, I could wear that purple hat to a royal wedding and fit right in! :-)

Lydia: Thank goodness you didn't use that title! LOL!!!! (But it would have been hilarious if you did)

julie fedderson said...

I think condoms are much more friendly than hemorrhoids. Just saying.

Heather said...

Your book sounds great Jennifer, I'll definitely be looking for it. I love that your husband challenges you in your writing and helps motivate you!

Diane said...

I have Jen's book and love her to pieces! Happy weekend!!! :O)

Olga said...

It's incredibly interesting to read interviews with authors. I never get tired of it. It can even be a guilty pleasure :)

Laila Knight said...

I'm really loving all these interviews. Steer clear of the mint julep, that stuff will keep you hung over for two days. ;)

Karen Lange said...

Fun interview! It's great to learn more about Jennifer. Btw - if either of you do happen to come to the Derby, give me a shout. I live not that far away from it! :)

Kelly Polark said...

Way to stick to your guns, Jennifer!
I hope you get to go the Derby one day!

Krispy said...

Now I really want to see that hat!

I also want to go to the Derby, but that's probably because I went through an intense horse / horse-racing phase in my teens. I've been to the Belmont Stakes, and it was something (though there's not as much fanfare)!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Okay, now I want to read about the condom thief!

Chelle Sandell said...

I'm sooo glad she let you keep the condom scene because it is one of my favorites in the book. And if you come out this way I can meet you at the derby!!!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Laila: Good to know! But I'm drinking one anyway!

Karen and Chelle: One day we'll meet there. You'll spot me with my hat. LOL

J.L. Campbell said...

Your husband is a smart guy, getting you to better what you'd done before.

Carrie Butler said...

Condom thief! Hah! I love it.

Great interview, ladies! :)

Sarah Pearson said...

Condoms are way sexier than pile cream. Nothing says sexy more than being safe :-)

Jennifer Hillier said...

Great interview!

I know what Jennifer means about social networking being dependent on her mood. These days, I'm all about Twitter. I feel like it's faster and doesn't require too much energy (which I don't seem to have).

Empty Nest Insider said...

I agree with everyone that fighting for the condom scene alone makes your book even more enticing Jennifer! Lydia, you did a great job with the interview! Julie

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hi, everyone!

JL: Ha! Yes, hubby is a smart guy. That's why I dedicated that book to him. :-)

Hi, Jennifer! Thanks for stopping by! Your book is on MY TBR list!

Nancy said...

You were brave to keep the intention of your scene while making needed changes. It isn't often that we can have the best of both worlds. And how nice that your husband stood by you with great advice. You are a blessed lady indeed.

Sandra Cox said...

Condom thief hey? grin.

Leslie Rose said...

I'm so glad the condoms stayed instead of the H-cream. Better mental images.

Emily Rose said...

I would love to go to the Kentucky Derby as well, just for the hats.:) Wonderful interview!

WritingNut said...

Great interview ladies. I'm so glad you were able to make that scene work out and you stuck to your guns Jennifer :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Nancy: Ha! I don't know if brave is the word. Stubborn and determined to prove my hubby wrong is more like it! LOL

Nas Dean said...

Hi Jennifer, Hello Lydia,

Great interview! Jennifer, I loved that you took on your husband's challenge!

Thanks Lydia!

lbdiamond said...

Hi, Jennifer! Congrats on your book. Looks like a great read!

Hey, Lydia, you won something on my blog. ;)

Em said...

Lydia: That cracks me up. (Lydia's Bloggy Version of Harry Potter.)

Congrats Jennifer on the book! Fun interview to read.

Shelley Munro said...

I'm glad you only had to change small things in your scene, Jennifer. Sometimes it's hard being a writer!

Mint Juleps and fancy hats sound good to me. Our big race down this end of the world is the Melbourne Cup. It's at the beginning of November, which isn't long to wait.

Good luck with your book :)

Connie Arnold said...

Thanks for sharing the terrific interview, Lydia. Jennifer, hope you get to go the the Derby and wear a fancy hat. My husband grew up in Louisville and has gone, but I've never been to the Kentucky Derby. Best wishes with your book!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hi, everyone and thanks for all the well wishes!

It's been wonderful meeting all of you!

And a special thank you to Lydia for hosting me! THANK YOU!!

Milady said...

Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com

 
ALL CONTENT © 2012 THE WORD IS MY OYSTER / BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS