Friday, August 19, 2011

Author Spotlight: Heather McCorkle Tells A Secret!

Welcome Heather! The Author Spotlight series continues. Every Friday is starting to feel like a party here! Okay. I'm dying to know Heather's secret, aren't you?

How do you "know" your manuscript is DONE?

When my editor approves it to move to the design stage. Oh wait, you mean before that? ;) That's a really tough one to answer. I have a thorough editing process with five steps that helps me polish it to the shine of a diamond. And yet, my editor still finds things to fix. So is it ever really done? I'm not sure. But at the end of my process, it goes to the editor. If I didn't have that process, I'd never send it.

Do you have a favorite social network?

Oh yeah, I LOVE Twitter. I mean seriously, I might be addicted. ;) But that's because it's where the people in the publishing industry hang out. You'll find editors, agents, publishers, authors, and aspiring authors all gelling together. Plus there are live chats for writers almost every day of the week. In fact I co-host one every Monday at 6pm PT called the #WritersRoad.

What is the oddest thing you've done for research?

I'm not sure if it's odd, but it's definitely not the norm. I started learning to speak Irish (Gaelic, though they don't like you to call it that) to enrich the feel and language of my historical fantasy set in ancient Ireland. I'm so glad I did. I love it!

Do you believe in aliens?

Absolutely. I write fantasy/sci-fi after all. It's kind of a requirement. My husband swears I might be one in fact. ;)

What's a secret/interesting thing about yourself that most people don't know, or would be surprised to know?

I was a Reserve Police Officer for three years in two different cities. I had to draw my gun~but thankfully never use it~three times.

(Okay. Didn't expect that. Wow! And...wow!)


Blurb:
Following the tragic death of her parents, Eren Donovan moves to Spruce Knoll to live with her aunt. Little does Eren know the entire town of Spruce Knoll is filled with “channelers”~a magical group of people who immigrated to the small Colorado town when they were driven out of their own lands.


Channelers are tied to the fate of the world. As the world slowly dies, so do they—and they alone have the power to stop the destruction of Earth. Now, Eren learns she not only lives among them, but she is one. When she meets local boy Aiden, his charm convinces her that being a channeler may not be all bad.


Available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble

And now, more fun stuff!

Heather is giving away tons of stuff--some great books, swag, and a $50 gift certificate during her blog tour! To be included, you must be:
  • a follower of this blog
  • comment below
You can also get extra points for commenting at other blog tour stops along the way!

Click on the here for full contest details.

40 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

Awesome secrets! A police officer? Wow. That's unexpected but cool. :)

Connie Keller said...

Okay, the cover is amazing! I love it. I will definitely check out your book. Congratulations!

Christine Murray said...

I learned Irish for years, but amn't fluent. It's taught really badly here, I'm more proficient in French. Looking forward to reading a book set in ancient Ireland though :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know my manuscript is done when I start changing sentences back to their original form!

Sarah said...

You're right--the gun thing was a surprise! Congrats on your release, Heather--it sounds awesome!

Bryce Daniels said...

Spruce Knoll looks like a place I'd love to read about! Very interesting premise.

Congrats on your success, Heather!

Pk Hrezo said...

I love this book cover! Hauntingly beautiful! Sounds like a great story. And wow... Gaelic is tough!

Isis Rushdan said...

Hi again, Heather. Gosh, I really am learning new things at every site.

Liza said...

My boss speak a bit of Irish...so impressed that you have learned some in the pursuit of great fiction. Story premise is amazing...

Carol Kilgore said...

Nice to meet you, Heather. Your book sounds great.

Happy Weekend!

Old Kitty said...

Oh wow!!! Hello Heather Great that you learned a language for research!! Thanks lovely Lydia for a fab interview with Heather! Good luck with your book! take care
x

Meredith said...

I've always wanted to learn Irish! What a fun way to research. I'll be on the lookout for this book!

Em-Musing said...

Ha! So there really is an Irish language? I thought they just spoke English with a very bad accent.

notesfromnadir said...

Learning another language is the best kind of research!

The Secret of Spruce Knoll sounds intriguing!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Interesting, off to Ireland next week for the very first time, so found your post very relevant.

Heather said...

Laura, it caught me by surprise when I applied too! LOL!

Connie, thank you, for both the cover love and for checking it out!!! :)

Christine, oh wow, another Irish speaker! I'm not fluent yet either, no one to practice with here. :( But I'm learning and having fun!

Alex, lol! Yes, that's a good sign. Me too!

Sarah, I thought it might be. ;) thank you!

Bryce, thank you so much. I hope you enjoy it!

Pk, aw, thank you! I still get chills looking at it. And you're right, Gaelic definitely is tough!

Olga said...

Thank you for the post. You always give something interesting to think about :)

Heather said...

Isis, hi again! LOL! I love that you're learning more at each site. :)

Liza, I like to go the distance for my writing. Thank you!

Carol, it's nice to meet you too, and thank you!

Old Kitty, it's been fun too! Thank you for the good luck!

Meredith, it's an amazing language and you can here where the accent came from when learning it. Thanks for looking out for my book!

Em, there is! Lol! You'd be surprised by how many people say that.

Notes, it really is! I've loved the process. I hope the novel intrigues you as much as the premise. :)

Carole, that's fantastic! Have a wonderful time and think of me while you're there. :)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Heather, so you know how to draw your gun and use it. Hmmm. Those book critics better pay attention to that! May your sales soar, Roland

Munk said...

Great interview. Thanks Lydia and Heather.

Katie Gates said...

Great interview. I'd love to hear details on Heather's 5-point editing process!

Karen Lange said...

Thanks for sharing the interview! Fun to learn more about Heather.

The Golden Eagle said...

Great interview! :)

Learning a whole new language for a story is amazing.

Wow. That is a surprising fact!

Carrie Butler said...

Learning another language for the sake of research? That's dedication! I have nothing but respect for endeavors like that. :) Best of luck with the rest of your tour, Heather!

P.S. I'm loving these Friday posts, Lydia!

Krispy said...

Am loving these author spotlights and the questions. The learning Gaelic thing is very cool (yeah, I'm a nerd, haha), and I did not expect the police officer tidbit!

Laila Knight said...

Ah, another fellow-alien...I love it. And such a wonderful book. I don't think I ever know when my book is ready. All I can really do is guess and let a few people read it. Great interview. :)

Jessica Subject said...

Wow! Learning new things about you every day. This is a great tour idea. All the best!

julie fedderson said...

A lady who knows how to use a gun, I am forever your fan! Great interview.

Heather said...

Roland, I do! LOL, the book crits have nothing to fear though. ;)

Munk, thank you!

Katie, thank you! I did a post on my editing process once. I'll have to find it...

Karen, aw, thank you.

Golden Eagle, it was pretty amazing. I'm so glad I was motivated to do it!

Carrie, dedication, crazy, same thing right?! Thank you for the good luck.

Krispy, we writers are all a bit nerdy. You're in good company. ;)

Laila, lol, yes! Aliens unite!

Jessica, and it's been fun.

Julie, lol, thank you!

Lorelei said...

Hey, Heather, I'm enjoying learning all about you. Are you running out of secrets yet?

lbdiamond said...

Nice interview. Congrats, Heather!!!! You novel sounds great!

Heather said...

Lorelei, not even close. ;)

LB, thank you!!!

Aik said...

Having the ability to speak foreign language(s) is a good thing. Keep learning, Heather!

Karlene Petitt said...

Hi Lydia! Thanks for supporting my sister! She's so brilliant learning a foreign language... and everything else!

Ioana Liliana said...

Great post!


Fashezine

Ms Saba (aka Teacher007.5) said...

I NEVER would have guessed a police officer Heather!!!! :D

Theresa Milstein said...

I haven't heard of this book. I must add it to my to-read list! Please enter me to win:

tmilstein at gmail dot com

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

Hmmm, I guess maybe I should consider being more active on this "Twitter" business then. Thanks for posting this, some useful interesting stuff here.
+followed

Amish Stories said...

Id like to invite you folks to come to Amish Stories for a recipe for "Famous Pennsylvania Dutch Sticky Cinnamon Buns" along with a book signing schedule for Amish fiction writer Wanda Brunstetter for Pennsylvania and Ohio as well as a contest to meet her. I hope everyone so far is having a great weekend. Thanks everyone. Richard from Amish Stories.

Leslie Rose said...

Holy cow! Those eyes on the cover art gave me a chill. Awesome.

 
ALL CONTENT © 2012 THE WORD IS MY OYSTER / BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS