I have my MG outlined and am ready to start writing it, but I have major fear of writing the first page.
Pathetic, I know.
So what did I do instead?
I made myself a shiny, new website. In one day. About 8 hours, actually.
Here it is!
People have been asking me questions about it, so I'll answer them as best as I can.
1. What website-maker did you use? Wix.com. It was Elana Johnson's and Christine Fonseca's, and I loved them both. So, enough said. But I came close to using one with GoDaddy, which had a huge selection of templates. There are a LOT of sites out there. I was just lazy, I guess. I picked Blogger for the same reason. It seemed easy and people I trusted used it, so that was that.
2. Was it hard? It was pretty straightforward. I'm still tweaking it. I must admit that messing around with Blogger this past year made it easy for me. The hardest part was finding all my publication deets to put in. Also, on the connect page, all those cute little square icons for Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, etc? I hunted down those images on Google, resized them and added my links because I didn't like the automatic Wix ones that came with the program. Me = Picky.
3. Are those your photographs? No, they're stock photos from Wix, but you can upload your own. I did the little Oyster one on the blog tab all by my little self, but you guys probably figured that out.
4. How much did it cost? Wix allows you to make it for free, but I upgraded. I'm paying about $8 a month so I can use my own domain (they give you one for free, but it's like http://wix_allthisstuffthatpeoplewon'tknowisme.com so I used one from GoDaddy.com) With the upgrade, it removes all the Wix advertising, and I wanted my site to look really clean.
Also, there is the cost of my domain from GoDaddy.com, which is like $7/year.
5. Any complains so far? It's Flash only, so anyone without Flashplayer can't look at it. Another somewhat huge problem is the iPad/iPhone is Flash-free, so Wix won't work on it. It's fine on a Mac, though. I'm still trying to figure out if I'll end up ditching my site for a site that's HTML.
6. Why is the Fiction page still blank? Because I'm not sure yet if I want to put all my projects out there to be seen as yet. I've been very secretive about my writing up until now. (I know, I know. Duh, then why did you make a website, silly? Baby steps, I guess.) But still, I wanted to put my other publishing credentials out there, and it never felt right to put them on my blog for some reason.
7. What else did you do with it? I did put a Statcounter widget on it to look at hits, though I don't expect a ton. I also registered it with Google, Bing, and Yahoo so it'll show up on searches. I linked my FB page and blog to it. I also linked it up so I can do Google Analytics on it. Oh, and I added it to my email and forum signatures.
Do you have a website? Please share if you like, and any other advice about making a website. Thanks!
Also, please stop by Sarah Fine's blog today and check out here answer to how to deal with waiting when querying. Check out last week's post by myself, and Laura's answer from the week before. Deb's up next week!