Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Procrastination results in Shiny New Website!

I have my MG outlined and am ready to start writing it, but I have major fear of writing the first page.

Pathetic, I know.

So what did I do instead?

I made myself a shiny, new website. In one day. About 8 hours, actually.

Here it is!

People have been asking me questions about it, so I'll answer them as best as I can.

1. What website-maker did you use? Wix.com. It was Elana Johnson's and Christine Fonseca's, and I loved them both. So, enough said. But I came close to using one with GoDaddy, which had a huge selection of templates. There are a LOT of sites out there. I was just lazy, I guess. I picked Blogger for the same reason. It seemed easy and people I trusted used it, so that was that.

2. Was it hard? It was pretty straightforward. I'm still tweaking it. I must admit that messing around with Blogger this past year made it easy for me. The hardest part was finding all my publication deets to put in. Also, on the connect page, all those cute little square icons for Facebook, Blogger, Twitter, etc? I hunted down those images on Google, resized them and added my links because I didn't like the automatic Wix ones that came with the program. Me = Picky.

3. Are those your photographs? No, they're stock photos from Wix, but you can upload your own. I did the little Oyster one on the blog tab all by my little self, but you guys probably figured that out.

4. How much did it cost? Wix allows you to make it for free, but I upgraded. I'm paying about $8 a month so I can use my own domain (they give you one for free, but it's like http://wix_allthisstuffthatpeoplewon'tknowisme.com so I used one from GoDaddy.com) With the upgrade, it removes all the Wix advertising, and I wanted my site to look really clean.
Also, there is the cost of my domain from GoDaddy.com, which is like $7/year.

5. Any complains so far? It's Flash only, so anyone without Flashplayer can't look at it. Another somewhat huge problem is the iPad/iPhone is Flash-free, so Wix won't work on it. It's fine on a Mac, though. I'm still trying to figure out if I'll end up ditching my site for a site that's HTML.

6. Why is the Fiction page still blank? Because I'm not sure yet if I want to put all my projects out there to be seen as yet. I've been very secretive about my writing up until now. (I know, I know. Duh, then why did you make a website, silly? Baby steps, I guess.) But still, I wanted to put my other publishing credentials out there, and it never felt right to put them on my blog for some reason.

7. What else did you do with it? I did put a Statcounter widget on it to look at hits, though I don't expect a ton. I also registered it with Google, Bing, and Yahoo so it'll show up on searches. I linked my FB page and blog to it. I also linked it up so I can do Google Analytics on it. Oh, and I added it to my email and forum signatures.

Do you have a website? Please share if you like, and any other advice about making a website. Thanks!

Also, please stop by Sarah Fine's blog today and check out here answer to how to deal with waiting when querying. Check out last week's post by myself, and Laura's answer from the week before. Deb's up next week!

42 comments:

Sarah said...

No website for me. And ... I know you describe it as easy, but as I read all the details, it seemed kind of overwhelming to me! A good website is an asset, though. I shall now go to admire your work.

Emy Shin said...

I love the new website, Lydia. It's very clean and pretty -- and I adore the oyster. :)

I also got a hosting service practically over the weekend. However, currently, my website is still blank, with a directory link to the blog. I'm waiting until the weekend to prettify it. :)

Christine Danek said...

I will check it out. I don't have a website yet. I may look into it down the road. Thanks for the tips.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I love your website, Lydia (as you know). I'm still going to wait since my blog doubles as a website thanks to the Pages. :)

Bryan Russell (Ink) said...

Ooh, that's pretty! Now I want to make websites. I'm sure the kids can feed themselves. It worked for those kids in that Lord of the Flies book, right?

Em-Musing said...

Your new website is Muy Bueno! As to your fiction, if it's unpub'd, I've heard you shouldn't put it on your site.

Old Kitty said...

Awwwww it's lovely!!! Yay for you!!!! I don't think you procrastinated at all - the result is worth it!! Yay!! Take care
x

Liza said...

I have my site for my freelance work...but it will need an upgrade soon. No sure I'd dare, but you've done well!

Clarissa Draper said...

I think it looks awesome!

cherie said...

Oohhh, it's very pretty and I love the clean lines. Well done, Lydia!

I don't have a website. I'm still fairly new to blogging and twitter, and I don't really have anything yet (as far as writing credentials go) so I won't be creating a website anytime soon.

But goodluck! I really do like your site. ;)

Suze said...

I kind of think of my blogs as my websites ...

Laila Knight said...

Great job on the website. It only took you 8 hours? I decided not to mess with that until I'm published. Thanks for posting the options. I know I'd like to personalize too...and there are so many disctractions. About your first page. It always seems like it's the most difficult to write. I go back and edit it 100 times...just write it. :)

Carol Kilgore said...

I love your website! Great job.

Bossy Betty said...

Very cool! I just got my own domain name and thought I was going to faint from the change, so that's about it for the year.

Heather said...

It looks excellent, I love it! Great job so far. I don't have a website, mainly because I've realized I can do everything with my blog that I could do with a website. And the domain name is easy to personalize. Who knows, someday I may cave.

storyqueen said...

Love it! Very clean and easy to navigate.

Well done, you!

Shelley

Critique Sisters said...

What a beautiful website! Thank you for the breakdown on how it's done.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

I am so impressed! The website looks great. That was some very productive procrastinating. And I really appreciate reading how you got it done--because I'm an idiot with this stuff. ; )

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very nice - I like the effects. Ironic that part of my job is website design, but I don't have one of my own. I'll probably just stick with my blog. More interactive.

Olga said...

Extraordinaire good website. It is attractive and transports your individuality.

Munk said...

Excellent site.

Karen Lange said...

Will check this out, glad you shared the link! This sounds like the kind of thing I do when procrastinating. :) Thanks for the input; I have a website but it's a free one and I am not happy with it or the way it formats. I've started looking into others, ones I can afford, and this sounds like it would fit my budget.

Krispy said...

Very cool! I was looking at it a bit when you tweeted about it but haven't had time to click everything. I think I'm following you though?

It's very nice, and hey, I hear you on the nitpicky details thing. :)

julie fedderson said...

You already know this, but I love the website. Mostly because it has big font and I can read it, unlike the dumb med lit website I was on this morning when you saw me looking perplexed.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Great job on the website, Lydia! Very sophisticated and clean. :) I used wix.com for mine as well, and it also took me about a day. It's a great site for anyone who doesn't know anything about HTML coding.

M Pax said...

Love the shiny, new website. Very nice, Lydia.

I do have a website http://www.mpaxauthor.com

I purchased my own domain, too. That way if I become unenamored with my webhost site, I can switch and keep the domain name.

Just finished an upgrade to it. Wordpress has very nice templates. My brother used them then did some custom coding for me.

I have a plugin to redirect blogger there, but am afraid to do it ... maybe someday, I'll quit being chicken.

For now, the posts go off there and here. With the plugins, etc, I'm able to customize the site to my needs w/o bugging my brother all the time. Which was very appealing to him ... and me. lol

Milo James Fowler said...

Yours looks great! I tried some of the free Wix templates, but I made the mistake of picking ones for photographers, so it was a real chore to modify them to suit my needs. Instead, I settled for a free Weebly site in addition to my blog.

Robert Guthrie said...

Very cool. And thank you for the website wisdom!

Sarah said...

very much like the new website:)

Miranda Hardy said...

The website is awesome Lydia! Thank you for answering the questions, since some of them did pop into my mind. I have domain's on Godaddy, but I have yet to use them.

Stephen Tremp said...

Congrats! on your new web site. I did have one, but since my blog drew all the traffic, my Web site now directs all traffic to my blog.

Kimberly Krey said...

I use WIX too. For now I'm just doing the freebie, but I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually. Heading over to check out your site now... BTW, new here and I'm glad to have found you. :)

Alleged Author said...

Your website looks like it took quite a bit of elbow grease! Paid off though because it is fantabulous. :)

Cold As Heaven said...

I increased your hit counter by one >:)

Do you really publish poetry in Journal of General Internal Medicine?

Cold As Heaven

Emily Rose said...

That sounds really cool! I'm going over to check out your website right now.

lbdiamond said...

I LOVE your website--it looks great!

Rachna Chhabria said...

I will check out your website. Good idea, Lydia.

Ghenet Myrthil said...

It looks great! Good job. :) I don't have a website right now but it's something I should look into.

nutschell said...

I can totally relate! I just finished plotting and outline my new story last week, but I'm still looking for other things to do because I've been avoiding writing the first page. Why is that??!
nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Carol Riggs said...

Haha, yeah...I think I was doing the same thing, a bit of procrastination. I was redoing my website too! I used Blogger, however, so it was free. But then, my hubby knows how to tweak the html so that the annoying Blogger linkies and navbar go bye-bye. I just pay $11 or $12 a year for GoDaddy. Mine (some tabs still in progress) is here:
Carol Riggs site

I like the way your site blends and fades from one page to the next, and it's great you switched sides for the text vs the photos; it's more interesting visually that way!

Leslie Rose said...

The new website is Classy with a capital C.

Adeeva Afsheen said...

Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Obat Kulit Bersih
Obat Pilek Menahun
Obat Alami Batu Empedu
Obat Lupus
Obat Ginjal Bocor
Obat Infeksi Lambung
Penanganan TBC Kelenjar
Obat Gatal Bibir Vagina
Cara Menghilangkan Infeksi Jantung
Obat Penyakit Jantung
Obat Herbal