23 hours ago
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
I Have Conference Phobia
First of all, a huge thank you to everyone who participated or dropped by for the Laughter is the Best Medicine Blogfest. It was a huge success and just...amazing. THANK YOU!
Now, on to today's post.
I think I've almost gone to a writer's conference four times in the last year. Really. They seem like a great idea. ARCs and meeting writers and agents, oh my.
But every time I'm ready to hit the REGISTER button online, I freeze.
I can't do it. Why? Well, since you asked, here's a list outlining my neurotic reasoning.
1) Guilt for leaving my family
2) Guilt for spending money
3) Guilt for...guilt's sake
4) What if they call me a fraud/wannabe and march me out
5) What if they say, "You have a decent day job, give it up girl!"
6) What if they notice my big pimple and say I can't play in their reindeer games
7) Fear of actually pitching a live human agents
Sigh. One day, one day.
What about you? Do you have conference phobia? If you got over it, got any tips for me?
In the meantime, please take a moment and visit Sarah Fine's blog, where she answers this month's Sisterhood of the Traveling Blog question on how to deal with the loss of your writing mojo! Check out Laura's previous post and mine (Writing Mojo No Mo), and stay tuned for Deb's next week!