Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sisterhood of the Traveling Blog: Stories and Time


Hi all!

Well, I'm back from the crazy land of boards recertification.
Thanks to all of you for your amazing support. I felt like I had a cheering section, and that warmed the cockles of my myocardium.

I have so much information packed into my brain I'm going to tip over. And probably I'll be dreaming of anthrax, tularemia, valley fever, q fever, histoplasmosis, blastomycosis, coccidioidomycosis, HAART, toxoplasmosis, herpes encephalitis, tuberculosis, plague, dengue fever, lyme, rocky mountain spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, malaria, babesiosis, and a few other things for the next month, whether I like it or not.

And that's just some of one topic (infectious diseases) among 10 I crammed myself with.

Oy!

So, again thanks for your support! It's over until the next one rolls around in 10 years.

And now onto less infectious topics. Or maybe very infectious, depending on your point of view!

This week's blog chain topic is courtesy of Danyelle Leafty, who asks:

"Stories have existed in every time and every culture. How come? And why are stories so important?"

So take it away, Laura Diamond, who tackles the topic this week!

25 comments:

Carol Kilgore said...

Welcome back to Blog World, Lydia. Somebody has to know all those things ... might as well be you :)

E. Arroyo said...

Yikes...I can't even pronounce none of that. Welcome Back!

Faith said...

Welcome back! And, uh... yay, infectious diseases? o_O ...LOL

B.E. Sanderson said...

Welcome back and way to go on those exams. =o)

Perhaps mankind started out making up stories to explain the world around them. Or maybe we just need a way to flex the old neurons. :shrug: It's an interesting question and one that would probably take more time to think about. Thanks for jumpstarting my brain today, Lydia. =o)

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

Glad to hear the exams are behind you, Lydia. Welcome back!!

Amie B said...

congrats and welcome back!

Kelly said...

Yay!
And I hope we don't have any of those ailments you listed!!!! Yikes!!!!

KarenG said...

You amaze me. When I feel sorry for myself about a time crunch, all I have to do is read your blog *gulp* *I'm a baby* And as for stories, that's what it's all about. Great writing, great stories, ahh it's the best!

Elle Strauss said...

Wow, I can't even pronounce those words much less ever hope to know what they mean, or even how to spell them for that matter!

Sandy Shin said...

Yay, welcome back, Lydia! I'm glad it's over for you. :)

lbdiamond said...

Welcome back, Lydia! Congrats on finishing your exam!! :D

DL Hammons said...

Welcome back!!! Is your head any bigger with all of that knowledge crammed in there?? :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad it went well! Your head isn't going to explode, is it?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lydia Kang said...

Some annoying spam today!

Alex, my head does feel huge and I feel ready to fall over, but when I look in the mirror, it looks like nothing has changed!
Okay, maybe a few dark circles, but still.
;P

Yat-Yee said...

Warmed the cockles of my myocardium: love it. Think I can throw that in my conversations?

The Words Crafter said...

I wish you'd move here with all that info! Some of the docs my friends have been to sound as if they got their med degrees back in the 1800's!

Congrats and take a break!

Slamdunk said...

Welcome back Dr. Sounds like you have lots to catch-up on.

Melissa said...

Welcome back your absence has been noted! We've missed you, congratulations on finishing.

Jai Joshi said...

Well done and congratulations on being recertified!

Actually I'm feeling selfish because it'll be nice to have you back now.

Jai

Krispy said...

Yay welcome back! Glad you're done!

Mary Anne Gruen said...

Congratulations on getting through recertification!

I think story telling probably started as a way for people to explain the world around them, sort of like cave paintings. And then they became a way of experiencing more of the world.

I gave you an award over at my blog. Don't worry if you don't have time to do the whole award thing. You've already got this one anyway. Just know that I think highly of your blog.

Phoenix said...

I just returned to the blog world myself :) Welcome back Lydia! I have my own ideas about why stories are so important - I'm off the check out Laura's take on it :)

notesfromnadir said...

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Good thing you only have that exam once every 10 years. Sounds like fun! :)

Hope your writing's going well.