Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Sisterhood of the Traveling Blog: The Waiting Game
This week, it's my turn to tackle how I deal with waiting.
My writing life waxes and wanes in intensity. But usually, after a rewrite, or a first draft, after I've sent it off to betas for a good microscopic throttling, or waiting on an agent submission, this is what I do.
1. I go to Paris. I love Paris, and I'm an expert in ignoring the French disdain for my nationality. I just stuff myself silly with good cheese and baguettes, feigning deafness every time the words "Zut alor!" pop up.
2. I have a full-body, platinum-treatment spa day. Because there's nothing like having ten women working simultaneously on polishing and buffing my poor, tired body after weeks of writing.
3. I have a gourmet cook specially prepare a nearly-death-by-chocolate concoction that I eat all by myself. It usually takes two days to finish it. And of course, there's a mound of home-made hot pretzels on the side because I love the sweet with the salty. You betcha!
4. I cash in my Lotto ticket that I keep forgetting to turn in. Money is SUCH a pain.
What do I really do?
1. I file away the massive stack of bills/statements threatening to sink the island in my kitchen.
2. I clip my toenails. I forgot I had toenails!
3. I get particularly goofy and silly with my kids, who look at me thoughtfully and say, "Oh. I thought the laptop was PART of your body, Momma."
4. I sleep. A lot.
5. I stress out about whatever I'm waiting on, and attempt to channel my energy into visiting blogs I haven't visited in a while.
So there you go. But really, I would like to go to Paris!
Don't forget to visit Danyelle's post next week, and if you missed it, here's Laura's post from last week!
Posted by Lydia Kang at 6:30 AM