1 day ago
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Blog Chain: Writerly Habits
Hi all! Today's my turn to write about weird writerly habits. It's time to confess.
1. I feel very uncomfortable using my laptop when it's not plugged in. I fear the world will implode if the battery actually runs down to zero.
2. I read things backwards. Magazines, in particular. Often the last few paragraphs I've written before I realize it's insane and I need to read like a normal human. I believe this is the manifestation of some inner desire to be left-handed or something.
3. I don't need a special place to write. I can write in a coffee shop, in bed, on the floor, or in a car (waiting for the bookstore to open but still using the free Wi-fi as I wait. Hey, I'm gonna buy some hot tea from the cafe in five minutes, so why not?).
4. I can't eat and write. Perhaps I need my brain to eat food. I don't know. But I'll eat before, and I'll after, but never during. Not even chocolate (I can hear the Luke Skywalker-like screams right now—"THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!")
5. I write best crumpled up into a small ball. Criss-cross, applesauce, one leg up, one tucked under, but hardly ever lady-like in a chair. Can't do it. Apparently my creativity is wired to work only when the knees are bent at extreme angles.
There you have it. That's me when I write. So what weird, writerly habits do you have?
Remember to take a minute to check out last week's post by Laura Diamond!. Next week will be Danyelle Leafty, and the week following, Zoe Courtman!