Friday, April 23, 2010

Mind-controlling fungus and Zombie Ants

Last week I blogged about the Luna Moth and I couldn't help but get all Discovery Channel on you again. So here's another nature-as-fiction-inspiration post.

This week, it's about Zombie Ants. So there's this fungus which invades the body of certain insects (in this case, an ant) and rewires the brain so the ant possesses this insatiable need to climb as high as possible. And then when it can't go any higher,the ant grasps a branch in it's mandibles (that's teeth to you and me) and dies.

And the victorious fungus? It kindly sprouts out of the body of the dead ant, spreading its spores (that's babies, to you and me) to infect more ants.

The photos on the internet are gross, and I didn't want anyone spewing coffee at their computer screens, so I drew this to be kind to your stomachs.



I SWEAR this is real, I'm not making it up. So see? Nature did body snatchers and zombies well before Night of the Living Dead or The Forest of Hands and Teeth.

22 comments:

MissV said...

I have heard about this. It was on a list of parasites or most bizarre things in the animal world...something like that.

I LOVE your picture. May I borrow it to post on my daughter's facebook page? I think she'll get kick out of it! She's 14, anything with "zombie" in it is cool to her!

Have a great weekend!

Sandy Shin said...

This is so, so cool. I've read about this before, but it's so much cooler to think of it in ZOMBIE terms. :D

Lydia Kang said...

Miss V--go right ahead!

JustineDell said...

I'm going to have to google this now. I'm make sure I finish my tea before doing so. Thanks for the warning. And for the informative post!

JD

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Okay, that's just gross. But I love the picture. Much better idea that posting the real deal. :D

KarenG said...

Awesome!! And thanks for the drawing!

Jaydee Morgan said...

That just proves it - every story idea has already been done! Thanks for the drawing instead of the disturbing graphics (is still too early here for that)

Paul C said...

Your illustration raises much more empathy.

Solvang Sherrie said...

I saw this on some nature show my husband was watching. It's pretty bizarre and kinda cool.

Kirsten Lesko said...

That is SO cool.

Talli Roland said...

Love the graphic. Hm. I'm not sure I really wanted to know about zombie ants, but it is indeed fascinating! :)

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

I've heard about bugs that lay their eggs inside other animals but zombie ants. Now that is creepy. Great post.

Cynthia Reese said...

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Hope that fungus doesn't cross-infect humans!

lbdiamond said...

Wow. Okay. Where are you finding this stuff?! LOL! :D

Jayne said...

Love your illustration! So glad you didn't show us a pic of the real thing...!

pbcbstudios said...

i just finished researching these! fungus/mushrooms are incredible!

Jemi Fraser said...

Either it's been a really long & weird week or this post is hysterical - I'm laughing out loud here :) Love your drawing - thanks for not including the photo :)

Deb Salisbury said...

I've never heard of zombie ants before. Nature is perfectly amazing! Love your drawing.

Ee Leen Lee said...

THanks for commenting on my ghost story blogpost Lydia

yeah actually this post deserves a Halloween reposting too heheh

Alexis said...

LoL! It is almost hard to believe. Nature is so cool!

Munk said...

I believe it, it happened to a friend of mine... she got better though.

Negi said...

Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you


Vancouver pest control

 
ALL CONTENT © 2012 THE WORD IS MY OYSTER / BLOG DESIGN © 2012 SMITTEN BLOG DESIGNS