Monday, March 22, 2010

Medical Mondays: Don't lick that bridge!

Okay, so here we go, our first Medical Monday post. Thanks Ee Leen Lee for your question!

Question: Is ingesting lead through food or water toxic or lethal?

Short answer: Toxic, yes. Lethal, possibly.

Long answer: Lead poisoning can occur by inhaling lead or ingesting it. Inhalation toxicity occurs mostly in adults working in or living near factories (batteries, ceramic glazes,ammunitions, pigments). Adults might consume lead via moonshine (home distilled alcohol), eating off ceramics that contain lead glazes, or certain Aryuvedic or home remedies. Long term toxicity definitely imparts a higher mortality risk.

A classic story of lead poisoning occurs in children who would nibble the paint chips off older houses painted with lead-containing paint that went unregulated until 1977. Also, right now 89% of the bridges in the U.S. are still covered in lead-based paint. So don't lick that bridge.

If you get a lot of lead toxicity in a short period of time, you'd have headaches, muscle and joint aches, decreased appetite and libido, decreased concentration, and kidney disease.

Now if someone had been getting lead poisoning over a longer period of time, they might have high blood pressure, fatigue and lightheadedness, dementia, anxiety and phobias, and hostile behavior.

Please keep in mind this post is for writing purposes only and is not to be construed as medical advice!

If you've got a medical question, let me know! Post below or email me at


Also, don't forget to check out Mental Health Mondays at Laura's Blog!

13 comments:

Catherine said...

This really made me chuckle! A brilliant post :)

Angie said...

I swear I had a similar conversation with my ex...but he didn't have lead poisoning, he was just insane. LOL! Great post. :)

lbdiamond said...

LOL! Great dialogue!

I didn't know most bridges still had lead-based paint. Eep! ;)

Lydia Kang said...

Insanity and lead poisoning...many similarities there. I suppose many people think their ex's may be suffering from one or the other... Ha ha.

Lydia Kang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat Harris said...

That's it! I'm never licking another bridge again.

Seriously, it's interesting to see the different symptoms that arise in long-term and short-term exposure.

Lindsay (a.k.a Isabella) said...

I agree with Kat, my bridge licking days are over :)

Loved the post, the dialogue made me chuckle.

Tahereh said...

what a great concept. so awesome you're doing this -- i always get stuck when one of my characters gets sick or stabbed or something. i never know what the realistic procedure is. i always have to google. lol.

thanks for the post!! you're too cute!!

beth said...

OK--this is a brilliant idea for a post! I particularly like the example at the end :)

Lisa and Laura said...

Haha. I agree great idea. This would have really come in handy as we wrote the first version of our manuscript. Let's just say a character took heart pills. Ie aspirin.

Deb Salisbury said...

LOL! I especially love the title of this post. Well done!

jbchicoine said...

I'm really looking forward to following your blog--what a great resourse. Thanks for sharing this!

Ee Leen Lee said...

thanks a lot Lydia! really great and fun information! much appreciated!

Insanity? hmmm wow, heheh