Question: Is ingesting lead through food or water toxic or lethal?
Short answer: Toxic, yes. Lethal, possibly.
Long answer: Lead poisoning can occur by inhaling lead or ingesting it. Inhalation toxicity occurs mostly in adults working in or living near factories (batteries, ceramic glazes,ammunitions, pigments). Adults might consume lead via moonshine (home distilled alcohol), eating off ceramics that contain lead glazes, or certain Aryuvedic or home remedies. Long term toxicity definitely imparts a higher mortality risk.
A classic story of lead poisoning occurs in children who would nibble the paint chips off older houses painted with lead-containing paint that went unregulated until 1977. Also, right now 89% of the bridges in the U.S. are still covered in lead-based paint. So don't lick that bridge.
If you get a lot of lead toxicity in a short period of time, you'd have headaches, muscle and joint aches, decreased appetite and libido, decreased concentration, and kidney disease.
Now if someone had been getting lead poisoning over a longer period of time, they might have high blood pressure, fatigue and lightheadedness, dementia, anxiety and phobias, and hostile behavior.
Please keep in mind this post is for writing purposes only and is not to be construed as medical advice!
If you've got a medical question, let me know! Post below or email me at
Also, don't forget to check out Mental Health Mondays at Laura's Blog!